This cemetery began in 1861 with the interment of Henry G. Ivie (b. 1811), an early settler in southeastern Houston County. It is located on property that was part of his holdings in the Stephen English Survey. The site served as a burial ground for residents of a three-county area centered around the Ivie Community. Located adjacent to land once used for school and religious purposes, the cemetery was associated with the Ivie Baptist Church for many years. Today Ivie Cemetery serves as a reminder of early rural settlement and its pioneers.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.