George (1803-1860) and Catherine (Rice) Grounds (1810-1880) settled in this area about 1829. Their arrival coincided with that of Catherine's brother, Joseph R. Rice, Sr., who settled his family about 5 miles southwest of this site in 1828. This cemetery was established in 1860 with the burial of George Grounds. By 1883 the graveyard had been legally set aside. It contains mostly Grounds family members and is representative of historic family cemeteries in East Texas. George Grounds' original red sandstone grave marker was replaced with a granite headstone in 1993.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.