Formal organization of the Cedar Point Church occurred in July 1885, shortly after a church building was constructed at this site. Led by Presbyterian circuit preachers, the congregation placed emphasis on Christian education, music, and revivals until a declining membership led to dissolution about 1946. Within a few years of its organization, the Cedar Point Church began the adjacent cemetery in which the first marked grave, that of Sam Houston Rice, dates to 1891. A cemetery association, formed after the church disbanded, has maintained the grounds over the years.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.