Harston Wilson Beeson, one of Houston County's first settlers (1840), bought land in this area from his neighbor, John Box, in 1852. The Cemetery was established on Beeson land about 3/4 of a mile east of this site with the burial of Box's son, William R. (b. 1827) in 1852. The 2-acre graveyard was officially set aside in wills executed by Beeson in 1878 and his son, George W., in 1915. Three Box Brothers (all veterans of the Battle of San Jacinto) and Civil War veterans Harston Beeson and his son, Argyle, are interred here. Beeson descendants maintain their family burial ground.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.