Established with the burial of a traveler on the land of Mary (Polly) Rice, this cemetery dates to the Civil War era. The first grave that bears an inscribed tombstone, that of Walter Ashmore, is dated 1870. Over the years members of the Duren and Hill families have deeded acreage for the burial ground. It has served residents of New Energy and surrounding settlements and has been associated with a school and a union church. Descendants of many of the area's pioneers continue to use the cemetery.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.