Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
HomeTennesseeDavidson County → Nashville

Nashville City Historical Markers

Map of Tennessee State Historical Marker Locations in the City of Nashville
 

Nashville City Historical Markers

Nashville Churches
Assumption Church ~ Cardinal Stritch
Assumption Church


Nashville's second oldest Catholic church, dedicated Aug. 14, 1859, its rector... [click for more]

Capers C.M.E. Church
Capers C.M.E. Church is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesMcKissack and McKissack Buildings TR... [click for more]

Christ Church

Christ Church Cathedral ~ Old Christ Church (1831-1890)

Front
Organized in 1829, Christ Church was Nashville's first Episcopal par... [click for more]

Church of the Assumption
Church of the Assumption is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Downtown Presbyterian Church
From 1814 to 1955 this was the site of the First Presbyterian Church. President Andrew Jackson was received into the church in 1838. James K. Polk was... [click for more]

Elm Street Methodist Church
Elm Street Methodist Church is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesNineteenth Century Churches of South Nashville TR... [click for more]

First Baptist Church East Nashville
Founded in 1866 under the direction of Rev. Randall B. Vandavall, First Baptist Church East Nashville built. This Classical Revival building between ... [click for more]

First Baptist Church
Organized in 1820, this is the church's third downtown location. The elaborate Gothic tower is all that remains of the Matthews & Thompson building th... [click for more]

First Presbyterian Church
First Presbyterian Church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Fisk Memorial Chapel
Fisk Memorial Chapel, deigned by New York architect William Bigelow, was erected in 1892 in memory of General Clinton B. Fisk, a founder of the Univer... [click for more]

Fourth and Church
Once Cherry and Spring Street, later Cherry and Church, is rich in Nashville history. Near here, April 2, 1781, Charlotte Reeves Robertson, wife of Co... [click for more]

Holy Rosary Cathedral
Near here in 1820 the first Catholic Church in Tennessee was built by Irish Catholic workers then building a bridge over Cumberland River. In 1830 a b... [click for more]

Holy Trinity Church
This building, renowned for its pure Gothic architecture and harmony of proportions, was designed by Wills & Dudley of New York, in a style suggesting... [click for more]

Lindsley Avenue Church of Christ
Lindsley Avenue Church of Christ is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesNineteenth Century Churches of South Nashville TR... [click for more]

Mill Creek Baptist Church and Graveyard
Mill Creek Baptist Church, mother church of Southern Baptists in Davidson County, occupied two meeting houses at this site from 1797 until the early 2... [click for more]

Primitive Baptist Church
Primitive Baptist Church is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesNineteenth Century Churches of South Nashville TR... [click for more]

Spruce Street Baptist Church
Front:
Spruce Street Baptist Church was originally a part of the First Colored Baptist Church, founded in 1848 as a ?mission? of the First... [click for more]

St. Ann’s Episcopal Church
St. Ann's Episcopal Church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

St. Mary’s Catholic Church
St. Mary's Catholic Church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

St. Patrick’s Catholic Church and Rectory
Erected in 1890 and named for Ireland's patron saint, this Second Empire style church was built to serve South Nashville's growing Irish Catholic popu... [click for more]

Third Baptist Church
Third Baptist Church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Nashville Schools
Academic Building At Fisk University
The Academic Building at Fisk University was designed by Nashville architect Moses McKissack and was made possible by a gift from philanthropist Andre... [click for more]

Belmont Domestic Academy
On the present site of Two Rivers High School, Belmont Domestic Academy, a girl's boarding school, was founded in 1815. It was conducted by Mr. and Mr... [click for more]

Cameron School
Cameron School is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Central High School
Founded in 1915 as the first public high school in the county system, Central High School stood here from 1921-1971. One of the earliest student gover... [click for more]

Davidson Academy
First established a few yards north in Spring Hill Meetinghouse by Dr. Thomas Craighead, newly elected president, on arrival from North Carolina in 17... [click for more]

Duncan College Preparatory School for Boys
Marvin T. Duncan, a graduate of Webb School (Bell Buckle) and Vanderbilt University, founded Duncan School in 1908 at this site on 25th Avenue, S. He ... [click for more]

East Nashville High and Junior High Schools
East Nashville High and Junior High Schools is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Fall School
Fall School, built in 1898, is the oldest public school building remaining in Nashville. Named after Mr. P.S. Fall, a prominent Nashville businessman ... [click for more]

Gymnasium, Vanderbilt University
Gymnasium, Vanderbilt University is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Hulda Margaret Lyttle Hall of Meharry Medical College
Hulda Margaret Lyttle (1889-1983)
1889-1983


In 1913, Hulda M. Lyttle was one of three graduates in t... [click for more]

Hume-Fogg High School
Hume-Fogg High School is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Immaculate Mother Academy
In 1904, a Philadelphia nun and heiress, Mother Mary Katherine Drexel, purchased this site for Immaculate Mother Academy, which included a primary sch... [click for more]

Madison College
Madison College was founded in 1904 as Nashville Agricultural Normal Institute by Seventh-Day Adventists on a farm of 412 acres. A sanitarium and cam... [click for more]

Mechanical Engineering Hall, Vanderbilt University
Mechanical Engineering Hall, Vanderbilt University is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Meharry Medical College
Meharry Medical College, established in 1876 through the efforts of Dr. George W. Hubbard, Dr. William J. Sneed, and Samuel Meharry, is the only AMA A... [click for more]

Montgomery Bell Academy
Formerly established in 1867 with a bequest of $20,000 by ironmaster Montgomery Bell, the roots of M.B.A. actually go back to 1785, with the Universit... [click for more]

Nashville Academy of Medicine (2)
The Nashville Medical Society, the first medical association in Tennessee, was founded March 5, 1821, by 7 physicians in the log courthouse on the Pub... [click for more]

Nashville Academy of Medicine
The Nashville Medical Society, the first medical association in Tennessee, was founded March 5, 1821, by 7 physicians in the log courthouse on the Pub... [click for more]

Nashville Female Academy
Occupying five acres extending north and westward, this school was founded in 1817. First principal was Dr. Daniel Berry, of Salem, Mass. It suspended... [click for more]

Nashville’s First Public School
Nashville's first public school, the Hume School, opened here Feb. 26, 1855. A three story brick building, the school employed 12 teachers and served ... [click for more]

Oglesby School
Built 1898, the Mary Lee Academy, the second school in the Oglesby Community, was named for its first teacher, Miss Mary Lee Clark. The county bought ... [click for more]

Parmer School
In 1927 8.25 acres of the Belle Meade Plantation were acquired from its owner Walter O. Parmer to use for a new school. Parmer School opened that fall... [click for more]

Peabody College for Teachers
Peabody College for Teachers is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Pearl High School
(Obverse)
Named for Joshua F. Pearl, the city's first superintendent of schools, Pearl was established in 1883 as a grammar school for N... [click for more]

Radnor College
Two blocks west, on the hill, stood Radnor, a college for young women. Founded by A.N. Eshman in 1906, it gained national attention for its compliment... [click for more]

Remnants of the University of Nashville
These Ionic column capitals once adorned the Cumberland College building constructed in 1806 just south of downtown Nashville. Originally founded in D... [click for more]

Roger Williams University
The Nashville Institute, renamed Roger Williams University, was located on a 28 acre campus next to Hillsboro Pike from 1874 to 1905. It was the large... [click for more]

Saint Cecilia Academy
The name Saint Cecilia, patroness of music was chosen for a grammar and high school for girls, opened in October 1860 by four sisters who had moved to... [click for more]

Scarritt College Historic District
Scarritt College Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Scarritt College for Christian Workers
Established in Kansas City in 1892 by the Methodist Episcopal Church South and moved to Nashville in 1924, Scarritt trained laity in Christian educati... [click for more]

St. Cecilia Academy
The name Saint Cecilia, patroness of music was chosen for a grammar and high school for girls, opened in October 1860 by four sisters who had moved to... [click for more]

Tennessee State University (2)
Tennessee Agricultural & Industrial State Normal School for Negroes first opened its doors to 247 students in 1912. this site gave birth to a new era-... [click for more]

Tennessee State University
Tennessee Agricultural & Industrial State Normal School for Negroes first opened its doors to 247 students in 1912. this site gave birth to a new... [click for more]

The Harpeth Hall School
On Sept. 17, 1951, Harpeth Hall opened as an independent girls’ college preparatory school on the former P.M. Estes estate. Susan Souby headed t... [click for more]

University of Nashville
Moving to a building in this area in 1802, Davidson Academy became Davidson College in 1803 and Cumberland College in 1806. Lack of funds closed it in... [click for more]

Vanderbilt University
An independent, privately supported university founded 1873 by Commodore Cornelius Vanderbilt, New York shipping & railway magnate, who gave $1,000,00... [click for more]

Wallace University School (1886-1941)
To prepare young men for College & for life, believing the first object of education to develop character, the second to develop intellect, third to m... [click for more]

Ward-Belmont College
In 1913, Belmont College (est. 1890) and Ward's Seminary (est. 1865) merged to form Ward-Belmont College, a women's junior college, preparatory school... [click for more]

West End High School
One of Nashville’s best examples of Colonial Revival style, this building was designed by Donald Southgate and opened in 1937. Public Works Admi... [click for more]

Nashville Courthouse
Davidson County Courthouse
Davidson County Courthouse is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Nashville Historic Homes & Houses
Alexander Ewing House
Alexander Ewing House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Buchanan Log House
James Buchanan (1763-1841) built this two-story single pen log house with hall and parlor plan c1807. The single pen log addition was added c1820 to a... [click for more]

Captain Ryman’s Home
On this site stood the residence of Captain Thomas Green Ryman, owner of the Ryman steamboat line and builder of the Union Gospel Tabernacle, renamed ... [click for more]

Cole House
Cole House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Cunningham House
The house which formerly stood here was headquarters for a succession of commanders following occupation of Nashville by Federal forces in 1862. These... [click for more]

Customs House
President Rutherford B. Hayes laid its cornerstone in 1877. Designed by Treasury Department architect W.A. Potter, it was occupied in 1882 by collecto... [click for more]

Dr. Cleo Miller House
Dr. Cleo Miller House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Edmondson Home Site
Will Edmondson, born about 1883 of former slave parents in the Hillsboro area of Davidson County, worked as a railroad and hospital laborer until 1931... [click for more]

Ezell House
In 1805 Jeremiah Ezell (1775-1838) moved here from Virginia and purchased 17 acres of land on Mill Creek. In 1816 he served on the Court of Pleas for ... [click for more]

Frederick Stump House

Frederick Stump (1724-1822)

Frederick Stump, an early settler in the Fort Nashborough area, came from Pennsylvania by way of Georgia.˙ He was ... [click for more]

Homes of David Lipscomb
This cabin was home, periodically, up to 1882 of educator, editor, and religious leader David Lipscomb and wife, Margaret Zellner Lipscomb. The Associ... [click for more]

Hows-Madden House
Hows-Madden House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Hubbard House
Built about 1921 from donations of Meharry Medical College alumni and trustees, Hubbard House served as the retirement home of Dr. George W. Hubbard, ... [click for more]

James Buchanan House
James Buchanan House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

James Weldon Johnson Home
This Dutch Colonial house was built in 1931 for James Weldon Johnson. He served as U.S. Consul to Venezuela and Nicaragua, editor of the New York Age,... [click for more]

John Geist and Sons, Blacksmith Shop and House
John Geist and Sons, Blacksmith Shop and House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Little Sisters of the Poor Home for the Aged
Little Sisters of the Poor Home for the Aged is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Maxwell House Hotel
On this site stood the Maxwell House Hotel built by John Overton in 1859. It was destroyed by fire on Christmas Day, 1961. After wartime use as a barr... [click for more]

Miles House
Miles House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Richardson House
This house, listed in the National Register of Historic Places, was built in 1905 as the home of Reuben B. and Mary Knowles Richardson. Richardson, w... [click for more]

Savage House
Savage House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Smith Farmhouse
In 1815, James Hifle Smith (1788-1845) and wife, Lucy Greer Smith (1793-1872), came to Pasquotank, Tennessee, from Virginia. They built a 1 1/2 story ... [click for more]

Southern Methodist Publishing House
Southern Methodist Publishing House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Tennessee Baptist Orphans’ Home
On July 6, 1891, the Tennessee Baptist Orphans' Home was established at this site. The orphanage was housed in the Hotel Delaware. With the encouragem... [click for more]

The Craighead House
This Federal-style home was built c1810 for John Brown Craighead and his first wife Jane Erwin Dickinson. Craighead was the son of early Nashville set... [click for more]

The John Wesley Work Home
(Obverse):
In 1937 this Victorian-style house became the home of John W. Work III. A teacher and composer for 39 years, he served his al... [click for more]

Weakley-Truett-Clark House
Weakley-Truett-Clark House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Nashville General Interest
Acme Farm Supply Building
Acme Farm Supply Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Adolphus Heiman 1809 - 1862
Adolphus Heiman
1809 - 1862


Born Potsdam, Prussia. Came to Nashville 1838. Lived in home on this ... [click for more]

Airdrie
Airdrie is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Albert Gleaves
Born here Jan. 1, 1858, a graduate of the Naval Academy in 1879, he commanded the USS Cushing in the War with Spain. In1917 took command of the Cruise... [click for more]

Albertine Maxwell
Regarded as the symbol of dance in her adopted hometown of Nashville, Ellen Albertine Chaiser Maxwell (1902-96) operated the Albertine School of the ... [click for more]

Alpha Kappa Mu Honor Society
Founded at Tennessee A&I State College, November 26, 1937, to give more recognition to talented Negro scholars. The first meeting was called by Dr. Ge... [click for more]

Anna Russell Cole Auditorium
Anna Russell Cole Auditorium is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Anne Dallas Dudley
Anne Dallas Dudley
1876-1955


Anne Dudley played a significant role in the ratification of the Nin... [click for more]

Arna Wendell Bontemps 1902 - 1973
Arna Wendell Bontemps
1902 - 1973


At this site lived Arna W. Bontemps, one of the most prolific c... [click for more]

BMI - Broadcast Music, Inc.
BMI
Broadcast Music, Inc.


BMI (Broadcast Music, Inc.), an organization that collects performance ... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville (December 16, 1864) ? Confederate Final Stand ?
After the withdrawal from the main Confederate line at Peach Orchard Hill, Lt. Gen. Stephen D. Lee formed a battle line across Franklin Pike 400 yards... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - (December 16, 1864) - Assault on the Barricade
Battle of Nashville
(December 16, 1864)
Dec. 15, 1864


During the retreat from Nashville, Colo... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Cavalry Action - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Cavalry Action
Dec. 15, 1864


Forming the outer arc of the Federal main a... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Cavalry Action - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Cavalry Action
Dec. 15, 1864


The right of the main Federal defense line ... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Cheatham’s Line - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Cheatham's Line
Dec. 15, 1864


Holding a line running N.E. and S.W. a... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Confederate Defenses - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Confederate Defenses
Dec. 15, 1864


After being outflanked by the advance... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Confederate Defenses - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Confederate Defenses
Dec. 15, 1864


Stewart's Corps, Army of Tennessee, h... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Confederate Defenses - Dec. 16, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Confederate Defenses - Dec. 16, 1864


Lee's Corps held the right flank of... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Confederate Outpost - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Confederate Outpost
Dec. 15, 1864


100 yards west was Redoubt No.3 in th... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Confederate Position - Dec. 16, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Confederate Position
Dec. 16, 1864


Stewart's Corps, badly mauled durin... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Defense by Ector’s Brigade - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Defense by Ector's Brigade
Dec. 15, 1864


In position from here northwar... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Federal Defenses
Battle of Nashville
Federal Defenses


The hill to the west was a strong point in the system o... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Federal Defensive Line - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Federal Defensive Line
Dec. 15, 1864


The Federal defensive line ran N... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Federal Main Line
On Dec., 16, 1864, the Federal 16th Corps under Gen. A.J. Smith joined the 23rd Corps under John M. Schofield at this point.˙ From this line at about ... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - IV Corps Drop-Off Line - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
IV Corps Drop-Off Line
Dec. 15, 1864


Using the defensive salient 500 yar... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Lee’s Position - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Lee's Position
Dec. 15, 1864


Here, Stephen D. Lee's Corps, Army of T... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Lumsden’s Defense - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Lumsden's Defense
Dec. 15, 1864


0.3 mile west was Redoubt No.4 in Hood's... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Outer Federal Defenses - Dec. 2, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Federal Defenses
Dec. 2-15, 1864


Near here, the interior defensive li... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Outer Federal Defenses - Dec. 2, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Outer Federal Defenses
Dec. 2, 1864


Near here, the interior defensi... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Peach Orchard Hill
Battle of Nashville
Peach Orchard Hill


On Dec. 16, 1864, Gen. S.D. Lee's Corps, Army of Tennessee,... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Redoubt No. 1 - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Redoubt No. 1
Dec. 15, 1864


Stewart's Confederate Corps held this sali... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Schofield’s Assault - Dec. 16, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Schofield's Assault
Dec. 16, 1864


The Federal XXIII Corps attacked sout... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Schofield’s Jump’s Off-Line - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Schofield's Jump's Off-Line
Dec. 15, 1864


The Federal defensive line ran... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Shy’s Hill
Battle of Nashville
Shy's Hill


On this hill was fought the decisive encounter of the Battle of Nas... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Smith’s Assault - Dec. 16, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Smith's Assault
Dec. 16, 1864


The Federal XVI Corps attacked southward... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Steedman’s Line of Departure - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Steedman's Line of Departure
Dec. 15, 1864


The left of the Federal main d... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Steedman’s Position - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Steedman's Position
Dec. 15, 1864


The left of the Federal main defensive ... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Stewart’s Line
Loring's division of Stewart's Corps, Hood's confederate Army of Tennessee, fought behind this stone wall Dec. 16, 1864. All Federal attacks were be... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - Taking of Redoubt No. 5 - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
Taking of Redoubt No. 5
Dec. 15, 1864


Hood's Redoubt NO.5 was on this hi... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville - XVI Corps Line of Departure - Dec. 15, 1864
Battle of Nashville
XVI Corps Line of Departure
Dec. 15, 1864


Supported by a division of Wi... [click for more]

Battle of Nashville Confederate Line
Trenches about 20 ft. N of this point, held by Loring's Division, were the center of the confederate main line before the Battle of Nashville. On Dec.... [click for more]

Battle of the Bluffs
Raged around this point April 2, 1871 between Cherokee Indians and settlers. Loosed by Mrs. James Robertson, dogs from the fort attacked the Indians a... [click for more]

Battle of the Bluffs
Raged around this point April 2, 1781 between Cherokee Indians and settlers. Loosed by Mrs. James Robertson, dogs from the Fort attacked the Indians a... [click for more]

Belair
Belair is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Belle Meade Apartments
Belle Meade Apartments is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Belle Meade Deer Park
Jackson Boulevard follows the contour of the 408-acre Belle Meade Plantation Deer Park, established by John Harding in 1833 or 1834. The park became a... [click for more]

Belle Meade Farm Freedom
In 1865 one hundred thirty six (136) enslaved men, women, and children at Belle Meade Farm gained their freedom. With this freedom they gained the rig... [click for more]

Belle Meade Golf Links Subdivision Historic District

Belle Meade Golf Links Historic District

Platted in 1915 by developer Johnson Bransford, Belle Meade Golf Links is one of the early subdivisio... [click for more]

Belle Meade Plantation - Change of Ownership
Belle Meade Plantation
Change of Ownership



Confederate Gen. William Hicks ?Billy? Jackson... [click for more]

Belle Meade Plantation - The Battle of Nashville
Belle Meade Plantation
The Battle of Nashville
- Hood's Campaign -



In September 1864... [click for more]

Belle Meade Plantation - The Natchez Trace
In 1742 a European settler recorded his travel and the conditions of the path which was known as the Natchez Trace. This is the earliest known recordi... [click for more]

Belle Meade
Established by John Harding, 1806, on site of Dunham's Station, Cumberland Settlements. This house was built after the first mansion burned in 1853. H... [click for more]

Belmont Mansion
This mansion, designed by an Italian architect, and built in 1850 by Joseph A.S. Acklen and his wife Adelicia, was the center of an extensive estate. ... [click for more]

Belmont-Hillsboro Historic District

Belmont-Hillsboro Neighborhood

When Adelicia Acklen’s estate was sold in 1890, the Belmont Mansion and its grounds became Belmont Colleg... [click for more]

Bennie-Dillon Building
Bennie-Dillon Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Berger Building
Berger Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Bethlehem Centers of Nashville
Formerly United Methodist Neighborhood Centers, Bethlehem Centers of Nashville began as settlement houses; Wesley House (1894), Centenary Center (1908... [click for more]

Birth of Bluegrass
In December 1945, Grand Ole Opry star Bill Monroe and his mandolin brought to the Ryman Auditorium stage a band that created a new American musical fo... [click for more]

Bradley Studios
In 1955, brothers Owen and Harold Bradley built a recording studio in the basement of a house on this site. They added another studio here in an army ... [click for more]

Broadway Historic District
Broadway Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Buchanan’s Station
One of Cumberland settlements, established here in 1780. The fort was attacked Sept. 30, 1792, by about 300 Creeks and Lower Cherokees under Chiachatt... [click for more]

Buena Vista Historic District
Buena Vista Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Bush-Herbert Building
Bush-Herbert Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Capt. John Rains
On Christmas 1779 he led his family and livestock across the frozen Cumberland and settled in this vicinity.˙ In 1784 he built a fort that enclosed th... [click for more]

Captain John Rains
On Christmas 1779 he led his family and livestock across the frozen Cumberland and settled in this vicinity. In 1784 he built a fort that enclosed the... [click for more]

Carl Van Vechten Art Gallery
This building, completed in 1889, was the first gymnasium built at any predominantly black college in the United States. In 1949, it was rededicated a... [click for more]

Carnegie Library
Carnegie Library is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesMcKissack and McKissack Buildings TR... [click for more]

Castner - Knott Building
Castner - Knott Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Charlotte Road
Route of early settlers to Charlotte, Memphis and the Southwest. Opened about 1800. Town and road bear the name of Charlotte Reeves Robertson, wife of... [click for more]

Cheatham Building
Cheatham Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Cheekwood
Cheekwood is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Chickasaw Treaty
In 1783, Chickasaw chiefs met with white settlers at a spring 100 yards north and agreed on land rights—the Cumberland country for the settlers,... [click for more]

Citizens Savings Bank and Trust Company
(Obverse)
Citizens Savings Bank and Trust Company is the oldest, continuously operated African-American bank in the United States. Form... [click for more]

City Cemetery
First established in 1822, the remains of many early settlers were then brought here for permanent burial. Among the more than 20,000 persons buried h... [click for more]

City of Edgefield
The portion of East Nashville known as Edgefield, the name suggested by Gov. Neill S. Brown, was incorporated as a city Jan. 2, 1869. Its approximate ... [click for more]

Cockrill Spring
The house of John Cockrill, an early settler, stood about 60 yards north, near a large spring, whose waters ran northeast into Lick Branch, which empt... [click for more]

Colonel James Robertson
In honor of
Colonel James Robertson
Born 1742 in Virginia
Died 1814 in Tennessee


He came f... [click for more]

Colonel John Donelson
In appreciation of
the services of
Colonel John Donelson
Born in Delaware, 1718.
Died in Kentucky 1786... [click for more]

Colonel Richard Henderson
Colonel Richard Henderson
Founder and Promoter of the noted Transylvania Land Company


In rec... [click for more]

Confederate Circle at Mount Olivet
After the War Between the States, the women of Nashville bought land at Mount Olivet and formed Confederate Circle. The remains of about 1,500 Confede... [click for more]

Cravath Hall
This neo-Gothic structure first served as the Erastus M. Cravath Memorial Library. Named for Cravath, the university's first president (1875-1900), it... [click for more]

Cummins Station
Cummins Station is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Deford Bailey
Bailey, a pioneer of the Grand Ole Opry and its first black musician, lived in the Edgehill neighborhood for nearly 60 years. His shoe-shine shop was ... [click for more]

Demonbreun’s Cave
Jaques-Timothe De Montbrun, French Canadian fur trader and later lieutenant governor of the Illinois Country, visited in this area as early as 1769. ... [click for more]

Desegregating Nashville’s Lunch Counters
After the pre-dawn bombing of atty. Z. Alexander Looby's home, approx. 3000 civil rights leaders and students from Tenn. St., Fisk, Meharry, American ... [click for more]

Devon Farm
Home of John Davis, early surveyor, who came from N.C. to Nashville in 1788. Davis was an Indian fighter & scout in the State Militia until 1795. ... [click for more]

Disciples of Christ Historical Society
Library and archives of the 19th c. American religious unity movement which became: the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ); Christian Churches; an... [click for more]

Doctor’s Building
Doctor's Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Donley Harold Turpin, D. D. S
Donley Harold Turpin, D. D. S
1892-1948


Turpin, a 1918 alumnus, was appointed Professor in 1937 and ... [click for more]

Dozier Farm
Dozier Farm is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Dr. Harold Dadford West, Sr.
Dr. Harold Dadford West, Sr.
1904-1974


In 1927, Dr. West came to Meharry Medical College as Associa... [click for more]

Dry-Stack Stone Walls
Dry-stack stone walls, a Scots-Irish building tradition adapted by slaves in the early 19th century, were common throughout middle Tennessee. During t... [click for more]

Dutchman’s Curve Train Wreck
The deadliest train wreck in U.S. history occurred on July 9, 1918, when two crowded trains collided head-on at Dutchman’s Curve. the impact cau... [click for more]

East Nashville Fire
Nashville’s worst disaster by fire occurred Wednesday, March 22, 1916. It began at 11:47 a.m. in the rear of Seagraves Planing Mill, 80 yards we... [click for more]

East Nashville Historic District
East Nashville Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Edwin Warner Park 606.7 acres
Edwin Warner (1870-1945) succeeded his brother Percy on the Park Board in 1927 and served for eighteen years. He personally directed the acquisition o... [click for more]

Eighth Avenue South Reservoir
This 51 Mil. Gal. Reservoir was built 1887-89 on Kirkpatrick Hill, the site of Federal Fort Casino during Civil War. It is elliptical in shape with ax... [click for more]

Ella Sheppard (Moore) 1851 - 1914
Ella Sheppard (Moore)
1851 - 1914


Ella Sheppard, an original Fisk Jubilee Singer, lecturer and teac... [click for more]

Ellis Service Station Garage
Ellis Service Station Garage is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Engine Company No. 11
Organized January 15, 1885, Nashville's first African-American fire unit, Engine Company NO.4, was located at 424 Woodland St. On January 2, 1892, Cap... [click for more]

Federal Office Building
Federal Office Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta
Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesMarr and Holman Buildings in Downtown Nashville TR... [click for more]

Fifth Avenue Historic District
Fifth Avenue Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

First Airfield
E. L. Hampton's pasture became ?Hampton Field? when transient airplanes began landing here during the first World War. About 2,000 feet long from her... [click for more]

First Masonic Hall
Across the alley stood the first Masonic Hall in the state, designed by architect Hugh Roland in 1818. Marquis de la Fayette was entertained there in ... [click for more]

First Steam Locomotive
On Dec. 13, 1850, the first steam engine, Tennessee No. 1, ordered by the Nashville & Chattanooga Railroad arrived at the wharf on the steamboat Beaut... [click for more]

Fort Nashborough (2)
Named in memory of General Nash of North Carolina, who fell at Germantown, Pennsylvania, October 4, 1777, in the War of the Revolution.

Er... [click for more]

Fort Nashborough
The original stockade fronted on the river slightly north of here, covering and area of about two acres. In that enclosure, on May 13, 1780, represent... [click for more]

Fort Negley Site
The guns of Fort Negley, commanding three turnpikes to the South & Southeast, opened the Battle of Nashville, Dec. 15, 1864. This site was selected by... [click for more]

Fort Negley

Fort Negley - Defending the Capital

Fort Negley - Defending the Capital - Hood's Campaign

(preface)
In September 1... [click for more]

Founding of Nashville
On Monday, April 24, 1780, two pioneers, James Robertson and John Donelson, shook hands upon the completion of a reunion at the site on which you now ... [click for more]

Frank Maxwell Andrews
Born in a house which stood here, Feb. 3, 1884, he graduated from the Military Academy in 1905. Originally a cavalry officer, he transferred to the Ai... [click for more]

Frankie J. Pierce
Frankie J. Pierce was born during or shortly after the Civil War. In 1921, she founded the Tennessee Vocational School for Colored Girls and served as... [click for more]

Freeland’s Station
On this site stood one of the principal stations of the Cumberland Settlements. Felix Robertson, son of Col. James Robertson and the first white chil... [click for more]

Frost Building
Frost Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Germantown Historic District
European immigrants established Germantown, the first suburb in North Nashville, in the 1850s. Large brick townhouses stood next to modest workers&rsq... [click for more]

Gilbert Mansion
Gilbert Mansion is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Gladstone Apartments
Gladstone Apartments is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Glen Oak
Glen Oak is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Glendale Park
Here, near the center of a 64-acre woodland amusement park owned by the Nashville Railway & Light Co., the Glendale streetcar line turned back toward ... [click for more]

Governors’ Mansion
A residence built on this site in 1910 served as the residence of the governors of Tennessee from 1921 until 1949, when a residence on Curtiswood Lane... [click for more]

Granny White Grave
Grave of Lucinda “Granny” White, who settled here in 1803 on 50 acres of land. She died in 1815 at about age 73. Granny White Tavern stood... [click for more]

Grassmere
Col. Michael C. Dunn, a landowner and Sheriff, built a home in the Federal style ca. 1810. A grandson-in-law, William D. Shute, received the farm in 1... [click for more]

Great French Lick
In 1710, a French trader from New Orleans had a trading post near the salt and sulphur spring which attracted game of all kinds. His successor was Cha... [click for more]

Greenwood Park
At this location in 1905, Preston Taylor, a Nashville business-man, religious leader, and former slave, established the first park to serve Nashville'... [click for more]

Griggs Hall
Built in 1925, Griggs Hall is the original building on the American Baptist Theological Seminary campus, now American Baptist College. It was named fo... [click for more]

Hadley Park
In 1912, Nashville officials purchased 34 acres of land to provide a public park for Negro citizens. Originally a part of the John L. Hadley plantatio... [click for more]

Heaton’s Station
On this bluff in 1780, pioneers who came with James Robertson built Heaton’s (also spelled Eaton’s) station. It and two other forts (Freel... [click for more]

Hermitage Hotel
Hermitage Hotel is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Hill McAlister 1875-1959
A native of Nashville, Hill McAlister was elected City Attorney in 1905. In 1911 he was elected to the State Senate where he supported legislation in ... [click for more]

Hillsboro Theater
In 1925, the Hillsboro Theater opened as a silent film house with its entrance on 21st Avenue South. The stage arch was decorated by Italian craftsman... [click for more]

Hillsboro Toll Gate No. 1
Ten yards north stood toll gate and toll gate house erected by Nashville and Hillsboro Turnpike Co., Incorporated in 1848. Charges to travel macadamiz... [click for more]

Hillsboro-West End
This classic streetcar suburb was developed on farm land as Nashville grew south and west in the late nineteenth century. Built in Bungalow, Tudor, an... [click for more]

Holly Street Fire Hall
Holly Street Fire Hall is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Hood’s Retreat Dec. 16, 1864
Hood's Retreat
Dec. 16, 1864


In this neighborhood, late in the evening of his decisive defeat at ... [click for more]

Houston’s Law Office
Sam Houston, a native of Virginia, moved to Nashville in 1818 to study law with Judge James Trimble. Admitted to the bar later that year, Houston prac... [click for more]

Hyde’s Ferry Turnpike
Here was toll-gate #2 of the Hyde’s Ferry Turnpike Co., chartered in 1848 to build a road from Nashville to Ashland City and Sycamore Hills. Ric... [click for more]

J. W. Price Fire Hall
Constructed in 1892 for Hose Company #1, this building is one of the earliest extant fire halls in Nashville. The upstairs housed firefighters while t... [click for more]

Jackson’s Law Office
Andrew Jackson settled in Nashville in 1788 and served as Atty. Gen. until 1796. Lawyer John Overton owned a building here (1791-96) and shared office... [click for more]

Jacques Timothe Boucher de Montbrun
Jacques Timothe Boucher de Montbrun
(Timothy Demontbreun)
1747 - 1826


French Canadian fur trad... [click for more]

James Geddes Engine Company No. 6
James Geddes Engine Company No. 6 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

James K. Polk
The house which stood about 100 feet west was built in 1815 by Felix Grundy. James K. Polk bought it while President in 1847. He came home to it on ex... [click for more]

James Robertson Hotel
James Robertson Hotel is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesMarr and Holman Buildings in Downtown Nashville TR... [click for more]

John Haywood
On the site of this house was home of John Haywood, a Supreme Court Justice in North?Carolina. Founder (1820) of the Antiquarian Society, forerunner o... [click for more]

John Trotwood Moore (1858-1929)
John Trotwood Moore
1858-1929


Tennessee novelist, poet, co-author, four-volume history, Tennessee, t... [click for more]

Johnson’s Station
A double log house and a few log cabins, partially picketed, stood here about 1790. On May 9, 1793, 4 children on their way to the spring were attacke... [click for more]

Jubilee Hall
Jubilee Hall, Fisk University: Erected in 1876, Jubilee Hall was the first permanent structure built on the Fisk University campus. Named for Fisk's w... [click for more]

Julia McClung Green 1873-1961
Dedicated educator who served Davidson County public schools 57 years as a teacher, the first Supervisor of Elementary Education 1911-1944, and Direct... [click for more]

Lake Providence Community
Soon after the Civil War, freed slave families established farms and dairies in this community named for Lake Providence Missionary Baptist Church. ... [click for more]

Lebanon Road Stone Arch Bridge
Lebanon Road Stone Arch Bridge is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesOmohundro Waterworks System TR... [click for more]

Lieutenant James Simmons Timothy
This tree was planted
May 24th 1919 by the
Catholic Children of Nashville
in grateful memory of
L... [click for more]

Litterer Laboratory
Litterer Laboratory is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Lockeland Spring
Located 250 yds. S.E., this famous pioneer spring served Lockeland mansion on site of present school building. Home built by Col. Robert Weakley in ea... [click for more]

Longleat
Longleat is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Longview
Longview is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Luke Lea Heights
Luke Lea (1879-1945) envisioned this park, gave to the city in 1927 the original 868 acres, and asked that the land be named for his father-in-law, Pe... [click for more]

Major Wilbur Fisk Foster 1834-1922
Chief Engr. Army of Tenn. C.S.A.; Construction Engineer on first R.R. Bridge in Nashville; City Engineer of Nashville and Member of American Society o... [click for more]

Mansker’s First Fort
Here on west bank of the creek that he discovered on 1772, Kasper Mansker and other first settlers built a log fort in 1779. John Donelson’s fam... [click for more]

Marathon Motor Works
The Marathon Motor Car was manufactured there 1910-1914 by the Southern Motor Works (later called Marathon). Four models, all touring cars, were power... [click for more]

Morris Memorial Building
Morris Memorial Building is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesMcKissack and McKissack Buildings TR... [click for more]

Mount Ararat Cemetery
Mount Ararat, Nashville's first African-American cemetery, was officially opened in April 1869. The property was purchased on March 23, 1869, by the C... [click for more]

Mount Olivet Cemetery
Mount Olivet Cemetery is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Mount Pisgah Community
In 1867, Jane Watson deeded land to several African-American families, many of them her former slaves. First called Watson Town, the community became... [click for more]

Mud Tavern
The Mud Tavern Community developed around the crossroads of the Elm Hill and McGavock Turnpikes. The name derives from the mud and log inn at the cros... [click for more]

Nashville Arcade
Nashville Arcade is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Nashville Centennial (1780-1880)
The Centennial Exposition on this site in 1880 from April 23 through May 30, marked a century of progress since the founding of Nashville. There were ... [click for more]

Nashville Children’s Museum
Nashville Children's Museum is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Nashville Christian Institute Gymnasium
Nashville Christian Institute Gymnasium is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Nashville City Cemetery
Nashville City Cemetery is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Nashville Financial Historic District
Nashville Financial Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Nashville Fire Department
The city’s first fire-fighting force of volunteers was formed in May 1807. The first paid Dept. was organized on July 29, 1860, with J.S. Dashie... [click for more]

Nashville General Hospital
Opened on this site February 1890, with a capacity of 60 beds. Doctor Charles Brower of the University of Nashville Medical Department was appointed S... [click for more]

Nashville Inn
First hostelry on this spot was established by Maj. William T. Lewis, 1796. It became Winn's Inn in 1806, the Nashville Inn a few years later. Among i... [click for more]

Nashville National Cemetery
Nashville National Cemetery is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesCivil War Era National Cemeteries MPS... [click for more]

Nashville Plow Works
Site of a farm implement factory operated by Messrs. Sharp and Hamilton, previous to the War Between the States. With the outbreak of hostilities they... [click for more]

Nashville Sit-Ins
Formerly located at this site was First Baptist Church, Capitol Hill, headquarters of the 1960s Sit-In Movement, led by Rev. Kelly Miller Smith. Stra... [click for more]

Nashville Union Station and Trainshed
Nashville Union Station and Trainshed is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Nashville YMCA
On this site in the Christian Church the Nashville Young Men’s Christian Association was organized May 18, 1875. Its first building erected 1886... [click for more]

Nashville’s First Radio Station
June 1922, Boy Scout John H. DeWitt, Jr., started Nashville's first radio station (WDAA) on the Ward-Belmont Campus. Assisted by music teacher G. S. d... [click for more]

Neill S. Brown (1810-1886)
Located 125 yards north is the site of Idlewild, home of Neil S. Brown, native of Giles County and fourteenth governor of Tennessee, 1848-1850. The on... [click for more]

Newsom’s Mill
The original Newsom’s Mill was located upstream & was destroyed by flood in 1808. Joseph M. Newsom constructed this turbine-powered gristmil... [click for more]

Noel Hotel
Noel Hotel is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesMarr and Holman Buildings in Downtown Nashville TR... [click for more]

Old Natchez Trace
Old Natchez Trace is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Omohundro Water Filtration Complex District
Omohundro Water Filtration Complex District is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesOmohundro Waterworks System TR... [click for more]

Overbrook
Overbrook is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Parthenon

The Nashville Parthenon

The Nashville Parthenon was built on this site as the centerpiece of the Tennessee Centennial Exposition of 1897. The ... [click for more]

Percy Warner Park - 2058.1 acres
Percy Warner (1861-1927) was a pioneer in electric utilities and hydroelectric development in the South. As chairman of the Park Board, he expanded N... [click for more]

Powder Grinding Wheels
These wheels used by the Confederacy to grind gunpowder at Augusta, Ga., in 1863-1864 were made in Woolwich, England, and were shipped on the blockade... [click for more]

Printers Alley Historic District
Printers Alley Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

RCA Studio B
RCA Records established a recording studio in this building in November 1957, with local offices run by guitarist-producer Chet Atkins. Its success le... [click for more]

Randall Jarrel 1914~1965
Distinguished poet, critic, novelist, and teacher. Born in Nashville; Hume-Fogg graduate 1931; Vanderbilt bachelor's and master's degrees. Served in U... [click for more]

Rich-Schwartz Building
Rich-Schwartz Building is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesMarr and Holman Buildings in Downtown Nashville TR... [click for more]

Richland Hall
Richland Hall is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Richland-West End Historic District
This early planned subdivision presents a largely unaltered picture of suburban residences in early 20th century Nashville. With ninety percent of exi... [click for more]

Richland
1.2 mile NE James Robertson built his cabin in 1779 at 23rd and Park. In October 1784 Robertson moved to his Richland Creek farm, living in the log s... [click for more]

Riverwood
Riverwood is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Robertson Avenue
Original driveway to Traveler's Rest, Home of Gen'l James Robertson, Founder of Nashville. He and other pioneers received immense grants of land in th... [click for more]

Robincroft
Robincroft is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Rutledge Hill Historic District
Rutledge Hill Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Ryman Auditorium
Built 1891 as Union Gospel Tabernacle for religious revival meetings. Renamed Ryman Auditorium 1905 for steamboat captain Tom Ryman, the building's ch... [click for more]

Saint Thomas Hospital
On April 11, 1898, at the request of Nashville Bishop Thomas Byrne, the Daughters of Charity opened Saint Thomas Hospital on this site in the former h... [click for more]

Sampson W. Keeble
Sampson W. Keeble, barber, businessman, and civic leader, became the first African-American to serve in the Tennessee General Assembly. Serving from 1... [click for more]

Samuel Allen McElwee (1858-1914)
Born a slave in Madison County, Samuel McElwee began teaching school in Haywood County at the age of 16. In 1882, he was elected to the Tennessee Hous... [click for more]

Sarah Estell
Sarah Estell, a free black woman in the slavery era, ran an ice cream parlor and sweet shop near here. She overcame the many hurdles faced by free per... [click for more]

Scottsboro - Bells Bend
Scottsboro In 1869, Tom Scott opened a general store 500 yards to the southwest on Old Hyde’s Ferry Pike that also served as a ... [click for more]

Second Avenue Commercial District
Second Avenue Commercial District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Shelby Street Bridge
Shelby Street Bridge is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Site of First Store
Lardner Clark came from Philadelphia in the early 1780’s with ten horses packed with piece goods, needles and pins. He established Nashville&rsq... [click for more]

Site of Original Gas Works
The Nashville Gas Light Co., founded March 1850, with General Washington Barrow, President, built first gas works in Tennessee for manufacturing gas f... [click for more]

Site of Waterworks Plant
The city’s present waterworks was inaugurated at this site Oct. 1, 1833. The pumping station was erected on the lower river bluff and the reserv... [click for more]

State Museum
This museum contains the collection of the Tennessee Historical Society (chartered 1849), successor to the Antiquarian Society (chartered 1819). Also ... [click for more]

Sulphur Dell
Nashville's first (1885) and last (1963) professional baseball was played in the Athletic Park which formerly occupied this block. Traditionally baseb... [click for more]

Sunnyside
Home of Mary Benton, widow of Jesse Benton who left Nashville after a famous feud with Andrew Jackson in 1813. The Greek Revival house was built c.185... [click for more]

TSU’s Reserve Officers’ Training Corps
Established in April 1919, the Reserve Officers' Corps at Tennessee State University (then Tennessee Agricultural and Industrial State Normal School) ... [click for more]

Talbot Tavern
Established by Thomas Talbot, in 1804, the inn which stood here was later known as the City Hotel. The trustees of Cum-berland College, later the Univ... [click for more]

Talley-Brady Hall
Talley-Brady Hall was named for well-known African-American chemists Thomas Talley and Saint Elmo Brady, both graduates of Fisk University. Talley was... [click for more]

Tanglewood Historic District
The Tanglewood Historic District is a rustic style suburban development from the 1920-1940s built by Robert M. Condra, a prominent Nashville builder. ... [click for more]

Temple Cemetery
The Temple Cemetery was established in 1851 with the purchase of three acres by the Hebrew Benevolent Burial Association and still serves Nashville&rs... [click for more]

Tennesse Manufacturing Company
Tennesse Manufacturing Company is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Tennessee Ornithological Society
On October 7, 1915, Dr. George Curtis, Albert F. Ganier, Judge H.Y. Hughes, Dr. George R. Mayfield, Dixon Merritt, and A.C. Webb met at Faucon’s... [click for more]

Tennessee State Capitol
Designed by William Strickland, noted Philadelphia architect who also designed the tower of Independence Hall. Construction was commenced in 1845 and ... [click for more]

Tennessee State Library and Archives
Tennessee State Library and Archives is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

The Children’s Museum
One of the largest Children's Museums in the country, with exhibits of North American animals, birds, flowers, minerals, fossils and local history. A ... [click for more]

The Hibbettage
The Hibbettage is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

The Little Theatre
The Little Theatre, circa 1860, is the oldest structure on the Fisk University campus. Erected as part of a Union Army hospital barracks during the Ci... [click for more]

The Nashville Race Course
The Nashville Race Course, the “Burns Island Track,” 1828-1884, was .6 of a mile north. Here Oct. 10, 1843, was run the then richest race... [click for more]

The Parthenon (3)
The world's only replica of the Parthenon, epitome of Greek culture, was the central building at Tennessee's Centennial Exposition, May 1 thru October... [click for more]

The Parthenon (4)
Erected as the central structure of the Tennessee Centennial Exposition, 1897, this is the only full-scale reproduction of the fifth century B.C. Athe... [click for more]

The Seeing Eye, Independence and Dignity Since 1929
The Seeing Eye, the world-famous dog guide training school, was incorporated in Nashville January 29, 1929, with headquarters in the Fourth and First ... [click for more]

The Temple Cemetery
The Temple Cemetery was established in 1851 with the purchase of three acres by the Hebrew Benevolent Burial Association and still serves Nashville's ... [click for more]

Theodore Ted Rhodes November 9, 1913 - July 4, 1969
Theodore Ted Rhodes
November 9, 1913 - July 4, 1969


Recognized as the first African-American profe... [click for more]

Thomas W. Phillips Memorial
Thomas W. Phillips Memorial is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Thomas W. Talley
Recognized during his lifetime primarily as a chemist, teacher, and administrator at Fisk University, Thomas W. Talley (1870- 1952) was also Tennessee... [click for more]

Timothy Demonbreun
Jacques-Timoth‚e de Montbrun, born on Mar. 23, 1741, in Boucherville, Quebec, was the first white man to live in the Nashville area. Beginning in 1769... [click for more]

Tolbert Fanning
In 1844, noted educator, evangelist, and agriculturalist Tolbert Fanning started Franklin College, a liberal arts school near this site where boys far... [click for more]

Tolbert Hollow
George Tolbert, a farmer, bought 97½ acres here in 1897 that became known as Tolbert Hollow. He was a former slave who, according to family tra... [click for more]

Tom Wilson Park (1929-1946)
Formerly located near this site was Tom Wilson Park. It opened in 1929 and was home to the Nashville Elite Giants baseball team of the Southern Negro ... [click for more]

Transfer Station Site
Site of electric street railway transfer station 1902-1940. Electric streetcar service began formally on April 30, 1889 replacing mule-drawn streetcar... [click for more]

Travellers Rest - The proudest moment of my life
Travellers Rest
The proudest moment of my life
? Hood's Campaign ?


(preface)

Travellers’ Rest
The first part of this house was built in 1799 by Judge John Overton, one time Revenue Collector for the Mero District of North Carolina, later member... [click for more]

Two Rivers Mansion
Built in 1859 by David H. McGavock, this mansion stands on land inherited by McGavock’s wife, Willie, from her father, William Harding. The smal... [click for more]

U.S. Post Office
U.S. Post Office is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesMarr and Holman Buildings in Downtown Nashville TR (AD)... [click for more]

Una Community
The Una community developed around the crossroads of Smith springs road and Old Murfreesboro Pike in the early 19th century. The local postmaster chan... [click for more]

Union Station
Erected by the Louisville & Nashville Terminal Co. & dedicated Oct. 9, 1900, the Romanesque style building of Bowling Green Gray stone and Ten... [click for more]

United Daughters of the Confederacy
On this site was the regular meeting place of the Frank Cheatham Bivouac, United Daughters of the Confederate Veterans. It was here on Sept. 10, 1894,... [click for more]

United Nations Visit to Nashville
On June 7, 1976, 101 permanent representatives of the United Nations made a historic and unprecedented group visit to Nashville at the invitation of T... [click for more]

Utopia Hotel
Utopia Hotel is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Vauxhall Garden Site
Located immediately south, this fashionable place of entertainment was established by Messrs. Decker & Dryer in 1827 and operated for more than a deca... [click for more]

Vine Street Temple
Nashville's Jewish community began in the 1840's. Mary early families were immigrants fleeing oppression in Germany, Russia, and Poland. Completed in ... [click for more]

Votes for Women
On August 18, 1920, Tennessee became the 36th state to ratify the 19th Amendment to the U.S. Constitution, thereby giving all American women the right... [click for more]

Ward’s Seminary
Ward’s Seminary for Young Ladies, founded in 1865 by Dr. William E. Ward, stood at this site many years. Dr. Ward, a graduate of Cumberland Uni... [click for more]

Warner Park Historic Park
Warner Park Historic Park is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Washington Hall
Inspired by Thomas Jefferson's Monticello and Lord Burlington's Chiswick House in London, John B. Daniels built this Italianate house c. 1914. Colonel... [click for more]

Watkins Park
Land once known as Watkins Grove was given to the city in 1870 by brick maker and contractor Samuel Watkins. It served as a site for political gatheri... [click for more]

Waverly Place
On the high ground about 100 yards east stood Waverly, home of A.W. Putman, writer and authority on pioneer James Robertson. Hence the name “Wav... [click for more]

West Meade
West Meade is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Western Harmony
Music publishing in Nashville began in 1824 when “The Western Harmony” was published by Allen D. Carden and Samuel J. Rogers. A book of hy... [click for more]

William Carroll (1788-1844)
A native of Pennsylvania, William Carroll moved to Nashville in 1810. He became a successful merchant and hero of the War of 1812. William Carroll se... [click for more]

William Driver
Born, 1803, in Salem, Mass., and a sea-captain at 21, he retired in 1837. Coming here for his wife's health, he brought with him the flag given him in... [click for more]

William Edmondson (c.1883-1951)
Born c. 1883, William Edmondson, a native Nashvillian and renowned primitive sculptor, worked exclusively in limestone.
In 1937, he became the ... [click for more]

William Gerst Brewing Company
The Nashville Brewery opened here in 1859 operating under several names and owners until William Gerst acquired it in 1893. Gerst brewed some of the S... [click for more]

William Walker
William Walker
Grey-eyed Man of Destiny


Born May 8, 1824, Walker moved to this site from 6th Ave. N.... [click for more]

Woodbine
An early settler of this area was James Menees, at whose home Mill Creek Baptist Church was formed in 1797. James Whitsett, first pastor, served over ... [click for more]

Woodland in Waverly Historic District
Woodland in Waverly Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Woodlawn
Woodlawn is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Woodmont Estates
Created in 1937 from the G. A. Puryear farm. It was once part of Samuel Watkin’s country estate. Olmsted Bros. Landscape Architects designed the... [click for more]

Woodmont Terrace Apartments
Woodmont Terrace Apartments is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Young Women’s Christian Association Building
Young Women's Christian Association Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Zephaniah Alexander Looby, 1899-1972
z. Alexander Looby, attorney, statewide civil rights leader, and a founder of the Kent College of Law, Nashville's first law school for Blacks since t... [click for more]