Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
HomeTennesseeHamilton County → Chattanooga

Chattanooga City Historical Markers

Map of Tennessee State Historical Marker Locations in the City of Chattanooga
 

Chattanooga City Historical Markers

Chattanooga Churches
Battle of Missionary Ridge
[First Tablet]
Battle of Missionary Ridge
Without orders, the Federals charged up the mountain
Brainerd Mission Cemetery

Brainerd Mission

Established 1817 by the American Board of Commissioners for Foreign Missions, it played an important part in the educational ... [click for more]

First Baptist Church Education Building
First Baptist Church Education Building is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]

First Presbyterian Church
(Obverse)
This church, founded June 21, 1840, by missionaries to the Cherokee Indians from the brainerd Mission and others, is Chattanoo... [click for more]

Highland Park Methodist Episcopal church
Highland Park Methodist Episcopal church is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]

Missionary Ridge Historic District
Missionary Ridge Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Missionary Ridge Trolley
You are standing at the crossroad where the trolley came up Birds Mill Road (shown below in 1894), crossed Crest Road, and then continued on Rosemont ... [click for more]

Missionary Ridge ~ Nov. 25, 1863
So called from its nearness to the Brainerd Mission to the Cherokee, this ridge was the scene of the final and conclusive action in the series of batt... [click for more]

Saint Paul’s Episcopal Church
St. Paul's Episcopal Parish was established in 1853. Between 1861 and 1863, the church was used as a hospital, first by Confederates and later by Fede... [click for more]

Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church and Buildings
Saints Peter and Paul Catholic Church and Buildings is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Second Presbyterian Church
Second Presbyterian Church is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]

Shiloh Baptist Church
Shiloh Baptist Church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

St. Paul’s Episcopal Church
St. Paul's Episcopal Church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church
Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]

Wiley United Methodist Church
Wiley United Methodist Church is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Chattanooga Schools
Bonny Oaks School
A Hamilton County Institution
Founded 1896


Authorized by Act of the General Assembly, 1895. The fir... [click for more]

Booker T. Washington School ~ 1924 - 1968
In 1924, three schools were consolidated to form Booker T. Washington School, with J.T. Swann as principal. In 1934, the school burned, reopening in 1... [click for more]

Chattanooga High School
The first public high school in the city and county, it was organized Dec., 1874, in the Second District School on College Hill, following classes sta... [click for more]

Chattanooga Howard School
Founded as a church school about 1865, Howard School was the first free public school, black or white, established in Hamilton County. Incorporated i... [click for more]

Chattanooga’s First School
In 1835 a log structure near the corner of Fifth and Lookout Sts, served this area as schoolhouse, church, and community center. Community leaders met... [click for more]

The McCallie School
A boarding and day day school preparing more than 6,300 boys for college in its first 75 years. McCallie was established on this former Missionary Rid... [click for more]

The University of Tennessee at Chattanooga
Founded by the Methodist Episcopal Church with generous assistance by Chattanoogans this institution became a principal campus of The University of Te... [click for more]

Chattanooga Courthouse
Hamilton County Courthouse
The Hamilton County Courthouse, was dedicated in 1913. It stands where the earlier courthouse building had been before it was struck by lightning in t... [click for more]

Chattanooga Historic Homes & Houses
Brabson House
Brabson House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Caleb Isbester House
Caleb Isbester House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Chancellor T. M. McConnell House
Chancellor T. M. McConnell House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Chattanooga Plow Power House
Chattanooga Plow Power House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Cravens-Coleman House

Cravens House

The only remaining structure of the Civil War period on the battlefield of Lookout Mountain, it was originally called the White ... [click for more]

Crutchfield House
Crutchfield House
Headquarters and Hospital
? Chattanooga Campaign ?


After the Battle of C... [click for more]

Frances Willard House
Frances Willard House is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]

Gaskill House
Gaskill House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Hutcheson House
Hutcheson House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Jailhouse for Andrews’ Raiders
In April 1862, Swim's jail, a small building at Fifth and Lookout Streets, was used to hold the captured James Andrews and 21 fellow Union raiders. Th... [click for more]

Judge Will Cummings House
Judge Will Cummings House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Kelley House
Kelley House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Market Street Warehouse Historic District
Market Street Warehouse Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Model Electric Home
Model Electric Home is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Read House
Read House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Seamour and Gerte Shavin House
Seamour and Gerte Shavin House is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

The Steele Home for Needy Children 1884-1925
In post-Reconstruction Chattanooga, no orphanage existed for black children. Almira S. Steele, a white teacher from Boston, met the need by founding t... [click for more]

Chattanooga General Interest
1838 Cherokee Removal & Trail of Tears
In May 1836, the United States Senate ratified the Treaty of New Echota by the margin of a single vote and set in motion the forcible removal of the C... [click for more]

Battle of Chattanooga ~ Nov. 23 - 25, 1863
[First Tablet]
Battle of Chattanooga
Nov. 23 - 25, 1863.
?????????


Gen. Grant had... [click for more]

Battle of Chattanooga, 1st Day, Nov. 23
November 23d, 1863, under instructions from Gen. Grant to ascertain whether the Confederates still occupied the valley, Gen. Thomas disposed forces i... [click for more]

Battle of Chattanooga, 2d Day, Nov. 24.
During the night of Nov. 23, 1863, Gen. Sherman crossed the Tennessee at the mouth of the Chickamauga, under orders to carry the north end of Missiona... [click for more]

Battle of Chattanooga, 3d Day, Nov. 25.
During the night of Nov. 24, 1863, Bragg's forces withdrew from the plain and Lookout and joined those on Missionary Ridge, occupying it from Rossvill... [click for more]

Battle of Lookout Mountain ~ Nov. 24, 1863
Nov. 24, 1863 Two miles south, over 3000 Federal troops crossed Lookout Creek in thick fog at dawn. They lined up from the creek to base of cliffs abo... [click for more]

Battle of Wauhatchie
Two and a half miles (in the direction the arrow points). Here three brigades of Hood's Division, Army of Tennessee, under Brigadier General Micah Jen... [click for more]

Bessie Smith ~ 1894-1937
Born in Chattanooga to black parents, her great talent and determination earned her the title Empress of the Blues. Death came in a tragic automobile ... [click for more]

Bonny Oaks
Bonny Oaks is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Brainerd Junior High
Brainerd Junior High is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]

Brown’s Ferry
About 3.3 miles north, near the route of the Great War and Trading Path, John Brown, a Cherokee half-breed, established a ferry and tavern in 1800. It... [click for more]

Cameron Hill
Named for James Cameron, a Scottish artist who lived there and painted in the neighborhood during the decade prior to the Civil War. Confederate force... [click for more]

Camp Ross
To the east, at the mouth of Chattanooga Creek, was this supply base for Tennessee troops during the Creek War of 1812-13. The river here forms Moccas... [click for more]

Carver Memorial Hospital
Carver Memorial, a hospital for Negroes, opened on June 18, 1947, in the Old West Ellis Hospital Building. Named for George Washington Carver, this he... [click for more]

Central Block Building
Central Block Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Chattanooga Bank Building
Chattanooga Bank Building is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]

Chattanooga Car Barns
Chattanooga Car Barns is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Chattanooga Choo Choo
It was on March 5, 1880, that the first passenger train leaving Cincinnati for Chattanooga was nichnamed the Chattanooga Choo-Choo.... [click for more]

Chattanooga Creek Picket Lines
Chattanooga Creek Picket Lines
Soldier's Truces
? Chattanooga Campaign ?


(Sidebar):<... [click for more]

Chattanooga Daily Rebel
Established on this site, Aug. 2, 1862, by Franc M. Paul, it was published in three states, five towns and, for several months, in a boxcar traveling ... [click for more]

Chattanooga Electric Railway
Chattanooga Electric Railway is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]

Chattanooga Golf and Country Club
In 1896, the Chattanooga Golf and Country Club was founded by several men who were introduced to golf in the North and in Britain. The oldest course a... [click for more]

Chattanooga National Cemetery
Chattanooga National Cemetery is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesCivil War Era National Cemeteries MPS... [click for more]

Chattanooga Public Library
Chattanooga Public Library opened in 1905 at the corner of Georgia Avenue and East Eighth Street, in a building given by Andrew Carnegie and furnished... [click for more]

Chattanooga Village
Chattanooga Creek runs nearby. Near its mouth, on Tennessee River, was a Cherokee village of the same name, probably on the site of an earlier Creek v... [click for more]

Chattanooga’s First Citizens
In June, 1837 the fifty-three householders living on the two hundred forty acres bounded by Tennessee River. Georgia Avenue, Ninth Street and Cameron ... [click for more]

Chattanooga, Harrison, Georgetown & Charleston Railroad Tunnel
Chattanooga, Harrison, Georgetown & Charleston Railroad Tunnel is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Civil War Fortification

Civil War in Tennessee - Controlling the River and Rails

Civil War in Tennessee
Controlling the River and Rails ... [click for more]

Civil War River Crossing
General Ulysses S. Grant's plan for lifting the siege of Chattanooga called for the Union Army of the Tennessee under General William T. Sherman to cr... [click for more]

Confederate Cemetery
Here are buried 155 soldiers of the Army of Tennessee who died in hospitals during the mobilization for Bragg's Kentucky campaign of Sept. - Oct., 186... [click for more]

Crane Building
Crane Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Cross Roads
Here the first two post roads established in Hamilton County by the United States Government, in 1820, crossed.

This spot was also the site... [click for more]

Daniel Ross
The home of this early trader and pioneer stood about 250 yards east. Born in Scotland, 1760, coming to this area in 1785, he shortly after married a... [click for more]

Ernest Walter Holmes, Sr. ~ 1883?1945
Born in 1883, Ernest Walter Holmes, Sr., opened Chattanooga's first independent auto-repair garage at 318 Market Street. Here in 1916 he invented the ... [click for more]

Faxon-Thomas Mansion
Faxon-Thomas Mansion is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Ferger Place Historic District
Ferger Place Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

First Coca-Cola Bottling Company In The United States
On July 21, 1899, two Chattanooga lawyers, Benjamin Franklin Thomas and Joseph Brown Whitehead, signed a contract with the Coca-Cola Company granting ... [click for more]

Fountain Square
Fountain Square is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

G. W. Franklin ~ 1865-1928
G. W. Franklin was born in Quitman, Georgia. He operated four businesses: blacksmithing, a hack line, a wood and coal yard, and an undertaking establi... [click for more]

Georgia - Tennessee, Hamilton County Line
Hamilton County
Established 1819; named in honor of

Alexander Hamilton,


Glenwood Historic District
Glenwood Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Headquarters Row - Generals and Ghosts
Headquarters Row
Generals and Ghosts


Beginning in 1862, Confederate Gens. Braxton Bragg, Daniel Le... [click for more]

James Building
James Building is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]

John Ross (1790 - 1866)
John Ross was the grandson of John McDonald and the son of Daniel Ross natives of Scotland and partners in a trading post established at Ross's Landin... [click for more]

Locomotive 4501
Locomotive 4501 (Class M2s, Baldwin No. 37085, built in 1911) was the first 2-8-2 type engine to operate on the Southern Railway System and saw activ... [click for more]

Lookout Mountain Caverns and Cavern Castle
Lookout Mountain Caverns and Cavern Castle is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Lookout Mountain Incline Railway
Lookout Mountain Incline Railway is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Louise Terrace Apartments
Louise Terrace Apartments is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

M.L. King Boulevard Historic District
M.L. King Boulevard Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Maclellan Building
Maclellan Building is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]

Market Square-Patten Parkway
Market Square-Patten Parkway is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Market and Main Streets Historic District
Market and Main Streets Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Martin Hotel (1924-1985)
Martin Hotel
1924-1985
? Chattanooga, Tennessee ?


For sixty-one years the Martin Hotel was loca... [click for more]

Mary Walker (1848-1969)
Born a slave in Union Springs, Alabama, Grandma Walker moved to Chattanooga in 1917 and remained here until her death. At the age of 116 she enrolled ... [click for more]

Medical Arts Building
Medical Arts Building is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]

Mikado Locomotive No. 4501
Mikado Locomotive No. 4501 is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Military History of Chattanooga
This city was first occupied by Confederate troops in the spring of 1862 under Generals Floyd, Maxey and Leadbetter. Union troops under General Mitche... [click for more]

Miller Brothers Department Store
Miller Brothers Department Store is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Municipal Building
Municipal Building is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]

Northside United Presbyterian
Northside United Presbyterian is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]

Occupied Chattanooga - The Waterfront
Occupied Chattanooga
The Waterfront


Chattanooga's Tennessee River waterfront underwent major change... [click for more]

Ochs Building
Ochs Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Old Library Building
Old Library Building is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR (AD) ... [click for more]

Old Post Office
Old Post Office is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Raccoon Mountain
Raccoon Mountain
Establishing the Cracker Line
? Chattanooga Campaign ?


After the Battle o... [click for more]

Randolph M. Miller
Randolph Miller, a former slave, came to Chattanooga in 1864 with Gen. William T. Sherman's Army. He worked as a pressman for Adolph Ochs' Daily Ti... [click for more]

Robert Schwartz and Company Building
Robert Schwartz and Company Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Roland Hayes (1887-1977)
Tenor Roland Hayes received his first musical training in the choir of Monumental Baptist Church, Chattanooga. He went on to become a principal solois... [click for more]

Ross’s Landing
Established about 1816 by John Ross some 370 yards east of this point, it consisted of a ferry, warehouse, and landing. With the organization of Hamil... [click for more]

Sallie A Crenshaw (1900-1986)
Ordained in 1936, Sallie Crenshaw was the first black female minister in the East Tennessee Methodist Conference. Returning to Chattanooga after worki... [click for more]

Signal Knitting Mills
Signal Knitting Mills is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Auditorium
Soldiers and Sailors Memorial Auditorium is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]

Southern Railway Freight Depot
Southern Railway Freight Depot is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

St. Elmo Historic District
St. Elmo Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Stone Fort Land Company Historic District
Stone Fort Land Company Historic District is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Stringer’s Ridge
Named for Capt. William Stringer, a pioneer. From there, Federal artillery in Brig. Gen. James S. Negley's task force bombarded Chattanooga, June 7 & ... [click for more]

Swaim’s Jail - Confining Andrew’s Raiders
Swaim's Jail
Confining Andrew's Raiders


Swaim's Jail, a small two-story brick building set into the ... [click for more]

Tennessee Valley Railroad And Museum
Operates over 3 miles near original East Tennessee, Virgina & Georgia Railroad right of way, using pre-1930 equipment, to East Chattanooga terminus. L... [click for more]

Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum Rolling Stock
Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum Rolling Stock is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Terminal Station ~ Chattanooga, Tennessee
The Terminal Station was designed in the year 1900 by architect Dou Barber of New York City and was awarded first place in the 1900 Paris Beaux Arts C... [click for more]

The Bridge Burners
Early on the morning of Nov. 9, 1861, bands of Union sympathizers burned two railroad bridges over Chickamauga Creek about a mile east. This cut Chatt... [click for more]

The Union Depot
The Union Depot, constructed on this site between 1857-1859, as a large train-shed with tracks, offices and waiting-rooms beneath, originated in an ag... [click for more]

Tivoli Theater
Tivoli Theater is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR (AD) ... [click for more]

Trail of Tears
In May 1838 soldiers, under the command of Gen. Winfield Scott, began rounding up Cherokee Indians in this area who had refused to move to Indian Terr... [click for more]

Trigg-Smartt Building
Trigg-Smartt Building is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Turnbull Cone and Machine Company
Turnbull Cone and Machine Company is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

U.S. Post Office
U.S. Post Office is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]

Walden Hospital
Dr. Emma Rochelle Wheeler, a graduate of Meharry Medical College, established, owned, and operated Walden Hospital beginning in 1915. Established to s... [click for more]

Walnut Street Bridge
Walnut Street Bridge is listed in the National Register of Historic Places... [click for more]

Wauhatchie
This Cherokee sub-chief lived in the area north of the road following the expulsion of his tribe from Georgia and until their forced removal to Indian... [click for more]

William (Uncle Bill) Lewis ~ 1810 - 1896
William (Uncle Bill) Lewis
1810 - 1896


William Lewis was born in Winchester, Tennessee, in 1810 as a... [click for more]

Williams’ Island
Named for a pioneer occupant, this island was the site of an Indian village and probably of an 18th Century French trading post. Here, on May 31, 1862... [click for more]

Wyatt Hall
Wyatt Hall is listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesHunt, Reuben H., Buildings in Hamilton County TR ... [click for more]