Hopson Burleson (1806-1882) moved his family from Goliad to this area in 1835 after receiving a land grant from the Mexican government. He immediately set aside two acres of the land for a cemetery. The first marked grave, dated 1872, is that of the infant son of A. G. and Zillah Pullin. Names of families who have used the graveyard include Burleson, Coleman, Henderson, Kelley, Newman, Pullin, Humphrey, Pinkard, Spires, Rowland, and McClelland. Several of Burleson's slaves are buried near his grave. The cemetery is a reminder of the early settlers in this area.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.