This cemetery is the largest of three slave graveyards which local tradition indicates were established in the area in the early 1850s. It was named for delegate to Texas' Constitutional Convention of 1875 and prominent local citizen Gustavus Adolphus (G. A.) Sessions (1827-1902), who donated the land. The oldest burial here is believed to be that of Anderson Carter, who died in the 1850s. The cemetery is closely associated with the nearby Shiloh Primitive Baptist Church and contains the grave sites of many notable former area slaves and their descendants.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.