In 1852 N.P. Sims (1806-1902) gave 10 acres of land at High Springs (4 mi. W) for a church and burial ground to trustees of Bethel Methodist Church. Several graves remain there. G.H. Cunningham (1828-1916) and P.C. Sims (1819-1903) gave church trustees 10 acres here at Bethel in 1868. Earliest marked grave is that of the Rev. J.W. Reynolds (1816-1873). In 1918 trustees for Bethel Cemetery association bought 3.9 acres of the 10-acre plot from the Church. Heirs of Cunningham and P.C. Sims gave 14 adjoining acres in 1961. The site has over 400 graves, including those of the 3 original land donors.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.