Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Texas Tarrant County Keller Mount Gilead Baptist Church

Mount Gilead Baptist Church

  Texas Historical Markers
SW corner of Bancroft & Ottinger Roads, Keller, TX, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 32° 56' 56.368428", -97° 13' 16.844844"
    Texas State
Historical Marker
    The earliest religious meetings here began in the late 1840s as part of Lonesome Dove Baptist Church. The Mt. Gilead Congregation was chartered in 1850 under the direction of the Rev. John Allen Freeman (1821-1919) with 8 members, including 2 slaves. It was the first church started after the formation of Tarrant County in 1849. Early services were held in homes and in a log schoolhouse at this site on land owned by Daniel Barcroft (1812-81). Except for a time in the late 1870s and early 1880s when meetings were held elsewhere, the church has worshiped at this site. (1981)

This page last updated: 8/30/2009

StoppingPoints.com Editorial on Mount Gilead Baptist Church:
See also the info for the Pioneer Stone Burial Cairns historical marker and the Mount Gilead Cemetery.

Image Gallery

Mount Gilead Baptist Church Historical Marker Location Map, Keller, Texas

Related Themes: