German Lutherans in Pottsville and surrounding communities formed an evangelical Lutheran congregation in 1891. The first resident pastor, the Rev. F. Naumann, served from 1898 to 1903. Church services were held in the McGirk Community Schoolhouse (12 miles south) until 1907, when a sanctuary was built near Pottsville. The congregation established a German school in 1908. Worship services were conducted exclusively in the German language until 1929. A new sanctuary was built at this site after the original church building was destroyed by fire in 1937.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.