First, and originally the only, building of University of Texas Medical Branch. Master architect Nicholas J. Clayton designed the massive Romanesque structure. It was dedicated October 5, 1891. Although rooms were almost devoid of equipment, the school boasted a young, vigorous staff. Enrollment in 1891 was 23. The building was named in 1949 for Ashbel Smith (1805-86), pioneer surgeon, diplomat, and Father of the University of Texas. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1969
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.