Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Texas Nacogdoches County Nacogdoches Los Ojos de Padre Margil (The Eyes of Father Margil)

Los Ojos de Padre Margil (The Eyes of Father Margil)

  Texas Historical Markers
Nacogdoches, TX, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 31° 35' 47.22987000012", -94° 38' 14.32349000016"
    Texas State
Historical Marker
    A Franciscan missionary who spent almost 50 years with the Indians of Central and North America, Father Antonio Margil de Jesus (1657-1726) was born in Valencia, Spain, and came to the New World in 1683. He founded three Catholic colleges before joining the Domingo Ramon Expedition to East Texas in 1716. He established three missions in this region, including Nuestra Senora de Guadalupe at present Nacogdoches. A severe drought, which began in 1717, ruined crops and caused many Indians to leave the mission. In the summer of 1718, according to tradition, Father Margil was led by a vision to a point near this site where the bed of La Nana Creek made a sharp bend. There he struck the overhanging rock shelf with his staff, and a stream of water gushed forth. Some accounts say that he made two openings in the rock, which became known as The Eyes of Father Margil. This miraculous event inspired the Indians, and a relief expedition later found conditions at the mission greatly improved. In 1720, Father Margil founded Mission San Jose y San Miguel de Aguayo in San Antonio. He died in Mexico City. The Holy Spring, now dry except during very rainy weather, symbolizes the faith and endurance of the Spanish missionaries.

This page last updated: 7/15/2008

Los Ojos de Padre Margil (The Eyes of Father Margil) Historical Marker Location Map, Nacogdoches, Texas