| Organized in 1848 and chartered the following year, the Liberty Masonic Lodge had an initial membership of eleven. Charter members included William J. Mills, W. C. Abbott, E. T. Branch, B. W. Hardin, William Beazley, Jesse Devore, Reason Green, William H. Mills, and C. J. O'Connor. The Lodge met in a room of the county courthouse until 1851, when a lodge hall was built, the exact location of which is unknown. The building was destroyed by fire in 1858, and records do not indicate where the group met until a new facility was built in 1867 on the corner of Main and Trinity streets. Once again, the Lodge Hall was destroyed by fire, in 1909. A new two-story brick structure replaced the former one at the same location, and was home for the Lodge until 1979, when a new Lodge Hall was erected at this site. The Liberty Masonic Lodge has taken an active role in the community, with its members involved in local government, public education, and community affairs. Liberty Masons have included Texas Revolutionary War veterans, representatives to Republic of Texas conventions and congresses, state legislators and supreme court justices, city and county officers, school board trustees, and one governor of Texas. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986 |
This page last updated: 7/15/2008
Liberty Masonic Lodge No. 48, A. F. & A. M. Historical Marker Location Map, Texas
Related Themes: Texas Freemasons, Masonic Lodges, Freemasonry, Ancient Free & Accepted Masons
See more markers related to Texas Freemasonry.