Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Texas Hale County Plainview Lamar School

Lamar School

  Texas Historical Markers
intersection of FM 400, Date St., & 5th St., Plainview, TX, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 34° 11' 3.34213000008", -101° 41' 50.4439400004"
    Texas State
Historical Marker
    The first Plainview schoolhouse was built in 1887, the year the town was founded. Located northwest of this site, it was a half-dugout sod building similar to many of the pioneer homes of the area. Built by local men under the supervision of Judge J. M. Carter and Col. R. P. Smyth, the structure also served as a community center and was used for the organization of at least two local churches. In 1889 the Plainview Masonic Lodge constructed a two-story frame building west of this site. The second floor was used for lodge meetings and the ground floor was occupied by the school, which became known as The Llano Estacado Institute for Male and Female in 1893. The building served as the schoolhouse until it burned in 1902. Shortly after the organization of the Plainview Independent School District in 1902, the elementary school was renamed in honor of the noted Texas leader Mirabeau B. Lamar. A two-story schoolhouse at this site was moved in 1910 when the original section of the present building was constructed. Later used as a vocational training center, Lamar School reflects the pioneer educational, social, and religious growth of the community. 1981

This page last updated: 7/15/2008

Lamar School Historical Marker Location Map, Plainview, Texas

Related Themes: Texas Freemasons, Masonic Lodges, Freemasonry
See more markers related to .