Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Texas Harris County Houston Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church

Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church

  Texas Historical Markers
2603 Anita St., Houston, TX, USA
    Texas State
Historical Marker
     As residents of the Fourth Ward neighborhood known as Freedmantown began moving to Houston's Third Ward in the 1870s, the need arose for a church to serve the spiritual needs of African Americans in the area. According to oral tradition, an itinerant preacher, the Rev. Wee W. Navigan met with several families in the summer of 1879 to establish a church in the Third Ward, which they named Jordan Grove. Subsequent pastors included the Rev. Lorenzo Williams, who served for two years, and the Rev. Jordan R. Lofton (1858-1936), who led the congregation for 48 years. Under Lofton's leadership, Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church built a sanctuary in 1893-94 on the lot they had purchased at 2017 Dowling. Destroyed in the 1900 storm, that building was replaced by a twin-tower frame structure in 1910. Cornerstones from each of these buildings are incorporated into the present church edifice on Anita Street. During the last half of the 20th century, membership grew to 1500 members; new educational and outreach programs gave Jordan Grove a strong presence in the community. Its pastors have been leaders in national denominational activities, and a number of its members have gone into the ordained ministry. An important part of African American history in Houston, Jordan Grove Missionary Baptist Church continues to stand in service to its members and the community.

This page last updated: 8/30/2009

Related Themes: