In 1846, local officials designated a block in the central part of Livingston for use as a cemetery for local African Americans. Originally called Livingston Colored Cemetery, the burial ground was bounded by Feagin, Tyler, Sherman and Houston streets. As the railroad brought new residents to the city in the 1880s, cemetery space became limited. In the 1890s, leaders from the black community sought the advice of County Judge Arthur B. Green, and he offered to give the citizens three acres of land for a new cemetery. Trustees of the cemetery accepted the gift on October 24, 1896. They moved the graves from the original location to the new site and changed the cemetery name to Greenfield to reflect the judge's generosity. In 1910, cemetery trustees bought additional land from Green's widow and children. The cemetery's earliest marked grave dates to 1906, but dozens of earlier graves exist. The military service and fraternal organization markers found throughout the burial ground reflect the contributions, efforts and work of generations of the area's African American residents. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2003
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.