Settlers of the Peters Colony named this smooth, dome-shaped hill for the abundant wild flowers that grow on it. Rising fifty feet above the surrounding prairie, Flower Mound, long has been a point of interest in the area. According to local legends, no structure was ever constructed on top of the mound, nor has any tree grown here. Before W. S. Peters began bringing settlers to the land issued him by the Republic of Texas Congress, Wichita Indians inhabited the area. During the 1840s, Peters colonists began moving to the prairie in search of good farmland. In 1844, John R. Wizwell was granted 640 acres of land that included the mound. His widow, Edy, later remarried and sold this land to George L. Beavers. Flower Mound remained in the Beavers family well into the twentieth century.
Although the hill has remained in private ownership, it historically has been identified with the community that grew up around it. Flower Mound Presbyterian Church was the first to officially use the name in 1854. Once a sprawling agricultural community, Flower Mound has begun to expand with the urban growth of nearby Dallas and Fort Worth, leaving this formation as a historic reminder of its pioneer days. (1984)
|StoppingPoints.com Editorial on Flower Mound:|
|On a local marker plaque affixed to the inside of the Flower Mound fence, the following inscription: Florence Alexander McCarley was born in the above house on November 25, 1828. The home belonged to her grandparents, James Decatur Alexander and Clemmie Hurley Alexander, who settled directly across from the Mound in 1899. Florence was the first child of James Russell (Jimbo) Alexander and Leona Feemster Alexander. She was the first grandchild born in the house.|
Florence spent many happy days playing on the Mound and gathering wildflower seeds with her grandmother. Florence's wish is to help preserve this great Flower Mound so that generations of children can enjoy God's lovely wild flowers.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.