| This congregation was organized in 1854 by The Rev. J. W. D. Creath, pastor of the Huntsville Baptist Church, and The Rev. Richard Pace, the pioneer Baptist leader and preacher who served as the first minister at this church. Early worship services were conducted in the homes of members. The first church building was a two-story structure shared with an early Masonic lodge. It was located at the site of Ebenezer Cemetery (6 mi. NE) on land conveyed in 1854 by Jonathan A. and Sarah McGary. The building served until 1880, when the church moved to the West Sandy community. Here services were first held in the sanctuary of Farris Chapel Methodist Church. A separate building, completed in the 1890s, was used until 1916, when the congregation relocated at this site. Throughout its history, Ebenezer Baptist Church has been led by many prominent pastors. It has also been active in the ordination of ministers, including J. S. McGraw, a Civil War chaplain, and Baptist preacher and missionary J. R. Walker, the son of early church leader J. N. Walker. An instrumental force in the development of the community, the church continues to reflect the ideals of its pioneer founders. |
This page last updated: 8/30/2009
Ebenezer Baptist Church Historical Marker Location Map, Texas
Related Themes: Texas Baptist Churches, Texas C.S.A., Texas Confederate States of America, Confederacy, Texas Freemasons, Masonic Lodges, Freemasonry
See more markers related to Texas Freemasonry.
View other Texas Confederate Historical Markers