Martinsville Historical Marker
Jones St, Martinsville,
Latitude & Longitude:
36° 41' 30.632172",
-79° 52' 22.45944"
Named for Joseph Martin, pioneer, who settled here in 1773. In 1793 the courthouse of Henry County was moved here and the town was established. Patrick Henry, for whom the county was named, lived near here once. In 1865, Stoneman, moving south to join Sherman, captured Martinsville. It was incorporated as a town in 1873 and as a city in 1929.
Martinsville Historic Homes & Houses
Patrick Henry’s Leatherwood Home
Once located to the south was Leatherwood, the plantation of Patrick Henry, governor of Virginia and great orator of the American Revolution. Henry is... [click for more]
Martinsville General Interest
Three miles southwest is Belleview, home of Major John Redd, a pioneer in this section. Redd served in the Indian wars and in the Revolution, being pr... [click for more]
Chatmoss was one of about 50 Hairston family plantations in Virginia, North Carolina, and Mississippi. This vast network encompassed tens of thousands... [click for more]
Since the late 19th century, Fayette Street has been a gateway to the business, social, and cultural life of African Americans here. Institutions suc... [click for more]
H. Clay Earles (1913-1999) opened Martinsville Speedway in 1947 with seating for 750. The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) fir... [click for more]
Martinsville City Historical Marker
Named for Joseph Martin, pioneer, who settled here in 1773. In 1793 the courthouse of Henry County was moved here and the town was established. Patric... [click for more]