Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Home North Carolina Cabarrus County City of Mount Pleasant Historical Markers St. John's Church

St. John's Church

NC-73 at Saint John's Road, Mount Pleasant, NC, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 35° 24' 58.0392", -80° 28' 37.6572"
  North Carolina State Historical Marker
    North Carolina State
Historical Marker
    Marker Text:
"Lutheran. Began ca. 1745 as Dutch Buffalo Creek Church. Adolph Nussman was first regular pastor, 1773. Building erected 1845. 300 yards north."
     The histories of Bethel United Church of Christ in modern Stanly County and St. Johnís Lutheran Church in modern Cabarrus County are closely tied because they can trace their formation to a single church. Among the early settlers of these counties were German immigrants who moved from Pennsylvania, arriving as early as 1728. The settlers were of two religious backgrounds, the Lutheran Church and the German Reformed Church. Pooling their community resources, the groups began to worship together as early as the 1740ís.

     The year 1745 is commonly accepted by both Bethel and St. Johnís as the year when a dual-purpose church and schoolhouse were constructed. Called the Dutch Buffalo Creek Meeting House, it met the needs of both the Lutheran and Reformed members. The union congregation was served by itinerant ministers and lay readers for much of its early existence. The first pastor to consistently visit the church did not arrive until the mid 1760ís and was from the Reformed Church, serving many similar union congregations throughout the area. Around 1770 a new church building was constructed near present St. Johnís Church. The new building, a primitive log structure similar to the first, served the union congregation until a 1771 split in the congregation.

     After the split, some Lutheran members under the leadership of John Barringer constructed a building at the site of the current St. Johnís cemetery, mostly at Barringerís personal expense. The new church and congregation chose St. Johnís for their name at that time. St. Johnís continued to prosper, successfully finding a permanent minister for their congregation in 1774 in the Reverend Adolph Nussmann of Germany, along with Johann Arends as their school teacher. In 1785 a new church building was dedicated for St. Johnís which served the congregation as it grew and was received into the North Carolina Lutheran Synod in 1806. In 1846 a new sanctuary was dedicated and, although substantially remodeled, still serves the congregation today.

     The remaining Lutheran and Reformed Church members of Buffalo Creek apparently used the old church for a while but began worshipping in homes and barns until 1806 when a frame church building was constructed on land donated by Christopher Lyerly. Rev. George Boger arrived as minister and the congregation remained one of a union between Lutheran and Reformed members. This union continued until 1875 when another split ended the cooperation. The Reformed congregation retained the old property and the church became known as Bethel German Reformed Church. A new church was constructed for Bethel in 1878, serving the congregation until the construction of the present building in 1929. The Bethel Congregation was re-organized in 1961 and became part of the United Church of Christ.

Jacob L. Morgan, History of the Lutheran Church in North Carolina (1953)
The Heritage of Stanly County, Volume I (2002)
Rev. Frank Bostian, ďBethel United Church of ChristĒ unpublished manuscript, marker research files, Research Branch, Office of Archives and History
Photo of St. Johnís Lutheran Church:
History of St. Johnís Lutheran Church:
St. John's Church Historical Marker Location Map, Mount Pleasant, North Carolina