Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
HomeCalifornia → Santa Clara Historical Markers

Santa Clara County, California Points of Interest

Map of California State Historical Marker Locations in Santa Clara

Santa Clara County Historical Markers

Santa Clara County Churches
First Unitarian Church Of San Jose
This church's architectural character is generally described as Richardsonian Romanesque, it is one of the few churches in America patterned after the... [click for more]

Mission Santa Clara
Founded nearby on the edge of the Guadalupe River on January 12, 1777, this is the first California mission to honor a woman-Clare of Assisi. The miss... [click for more]

Old Sites of Mission Santa Clara De Asis and Old Spanish Bridge
The first mission in this valley, Mission Santa Clara de Thamien, was established at this site by Franciscan Padres Tomás de la Peņa and Joseph... [click for more]

St. Joseph’s Catholic Church
Established in 1803, St. Joseph's was the first non-mission church in a Spanish California settlement. The present edifice, designed in Italian baroqu... [click for more]

Santa Clara County Schools
First Normal School in California (San Jose State College)
Originally founded as a private institution, 'Minns' Evening Normal School,' in 1857, the school became a public institution by act of the State Legis... [click for more]

Moreland School
Established in 1851 as a subscription school meeting in private homes, this is the oldest rural school district in California. Its first teacher, Char... [click for more]

Santa Clara County Historic Homes & Houses
Edwin Markham Home
Markham was born at Oregon City April 23, 1852 and later moved to a cattle ranch near Suisun. Later he and his mother moved to San Jose, and Markham e... [click for more]

Hayes Mansion
Jay Orley and Everis A. Hayes built this Mission Revival style mansion, designed by George W. Page in 1904. The Hayes brothers were early San Jose Mer... [click for more]

Home Site Of Sarah Wallis
Sarah Armstrong Wallis (1825-1905) was a pioneer in the campaign for women's voting rights. In 1870 she was elected president of California's first st... [click for more]

Hostess House
Designed by Julia Morgan for the YWCA, this building originally served Camp Fremont as a meeting place for servicemen and visitors, and was dedicated ... [click for more]

John Adams Squire House
Designed by T. Paterson Ross and constructed in 1904 by builder George W. Mosher, this house is a notable example of California's interpretation of th... [click for more]

Lou Henry Hoover House
This 1919 residence, a unique blend of pueblo and international style elements, embodies Mrs. Herbert Hoover's innovative architectural concepts. It w... [click for more]

Martin Murphy Home and Estate (site)
Martin Murphy, Jr. arrived in California with his family in 1844 in the first wagon train to cross the Sierra Nevada. The founder of Sunnyvale, he con... [click for more]

Old Adobe Woman’s Club
This adobe, among the oldest in Santa Clara Valley, was one of several continuous rows of homes built in 1792-1800 as dwellings for the Indian familie... [click for more]

Site of Juana Briones De Miranda Home On Rancho La Purísima Concepción
In 1843 Apolinario Miranda, husband of Juana Briones de Miranda, was sent before the subprefect for not living harmoniously with his wife and, shortly... [click for more]

Vasquez Tree and Site of 21-mile House
This famous tavern and stage stop was located 21 miles from San Jose on the road to Monterey. The 21-Mile-House was built in 1852 by William Host bene... [click for more]

Winchester House
Built by Sarah Winchester, widow of rifle manufacturer William Winchester, this unique structure includes many outstanding elements of Victorian archi... [click for more]

Santa Clara County - General Interest
Almaden Vineyards
On this site, in 1852, Charles LeFranc made the first commercial planting of fine European wine grapes in Santa Clara County to found Almaden Vineyard... [click for more]

Arroyo De San Joseph Cupertino
This arroyo honoring San Joseph, patron saint of flight and students, was first discovered and traversed by Spanish explorers in 1769. On March 25-26,... [click for more]

Birthplace Of Silicon Valley
This garage is the birthplace of the world's first high-technology region, Silicon Valley. The idea for such a region originated with Dr. Frederick Te... [click for more]

Charles Copeland Morse Residence
C. C. Morse of Ferry-Morse Seed Company fame built this mansion, claimed to be the largest remaining late Queen Anne-style Victorian residence in the ... [click for more]

Eadweard Muybridge and The Development Of Motion Pictures
In commemoration of the motion picture research conducted in 1878 and 1879 by Eadweard Muybridge at the Palo Alto Stock Farm, now the site of Stanford... [click for more]

First Site of El Pueblo De San José de Guadalupe
Within a year after the opening of the first overland route from Mexico to Alta California, Governor Felipe de Neve authorized establishment of Califo... [click for more]

First Successful Introduction of the Honeybee to California
Here, on the 1,939-acre Rancho Potrero de Santa Clara, Christopher A. Shelton in early March 1853 introduced the honeybee to California. In Aspinwall,... [click for more]

Forbes Flour Mill
This is all that remains of the four-story stone flour mill built in 1854 by James Alexander Forbes. The town that grew around this building was first... [click for more]

Gilroy Yamato Hot Springs Resort
Under the guidance of the George Roop and William McDonald families during the years of 1865 of Francisco Cantua's discovery to the 1930s, Gilroy Hot ... [click for more]

Named after Frank Gubser, a German immigrant and barber, Gubserville was an important stage, mail, and teamster stop on the road between San Jose and ... [click for more]

Kotani-En is a classical Japanese residence in the formal style of a 13th-century estate with tile roofed walls surrounding a tea house, shrine, garde... [click for more]

Luís María Peralta Adobe
The last vestige of El Pueblo de San José de Guadalupe. This simple adobe was rehabilitated in the mid-19th century. It is believed to have bee... [click for more]

Montgomery Hill
Three-quarters of a mile northeast is Montgomery Hill, site of the 55 successful flights of John Joseph Montgomery's 'aeroplane' that demonstrated aer... [click for more]

New Almaden Mine 1
Here, along Arroyo de los Alamitos Creek, Luís Cabolla and Antonio Suņol did the first mining in California as they worked New Almaden ore in t... [click for more]

New Almaden Mine
The Indians used pigment from this cinnabar hill for paint. Mercury was mined as early as 1845. The gold discovery made mercury indispensable, and the... [click for more]

Old Post Office
Constructed by the United States government in 1892, this was the first federal building in San Jose. It served as U.S. Post Office from 1892 to 1933.... [click for more]

'Mountain Charley' McKiernan, one of the earliest residents of the Santa Cruz Mountains, settled near here in 1850, and John Martin Schultheis and his... [click for more]

Paul Masson Mountain Winery
Premium wines and champagne have flowed continuously since 1852 from the winery that bears the name of Paul Masson, even during Prohibition under a sp... [click for more]

Pioneer Electronics Research Laboratory
This is the original site of the laboratory and factory of Federal Telegraph Company, founded in 1909 by Cyril F. Elwell. Here, Dr. Lee de Forest, inv... [click for more]

Roberto-Suñol Adobe
This historic adobe was built in 1836 by a native Californian, Roberto Balermino, on Rancho de los Coches, which was officially granted to him by Gove... [click for more]

Santa Clara Campaign Treaty Site
After an armed confrontation on January 2 and a meeting the following day, Marine Captain Ward Marston, commander of the United States expeditionary f... [click for more]

The Anza exploring party passed through the Saratoga area March 25, 1776. Lumbering in the mountains, which began in 1847 and continued many years, br... [click for more]

Site Of City Gardens - Nursery Of Louis Pellier
Pellier, native of Saint-Hippolyte, France and founder of California's prune industry, came to California in 1849. In October 1850 he established a nu... [click for more]

Site Of Invention Of The First Commercially Practicable Integrated Circuit
At this site in 1959, Dr. Robert Noyce of Fairchild Semiconductor Corporation invented the first integrated circuit that could be produced commerciall... [click for more]

Site of California’s First State Capitol
Directly opposite this tablet was located the first State Capitol Building, in which California's first Legislature assembled in December 1849. San Jo... [click for more]

Site of World’s First Broadcasting Station
On this corner stood the Garden City Bank Building, where Charles D. Herrold established Station FN, the first radio broadcasting station in the world... [click for more]

This page last updated: 11/11/2009