Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
HomeCalifornia → San Mateo Historical Markers

San Mateo County, California Points of Interest

Map of California State Historical Marker Locations in San Mateo

San Mateo County Historical Markers

San Mateo County Churches
First Congregational Church Of Pescadero
Built in May 1867, this is the oldest church building on its original site within the San Mateo-Santa Clara County region. Its Classical Revival style... [click for more]

The Hospice (Outpost of Mission Dolores)
Here stood the Hospice built around 1800 by the Spanish Padres on El Camino Real to break the journey from Santa Clara and serve the Indians of Missio... [click for more]

San Mateo County Cemeteries
Union Cemetery
The name of this cemetery, established before the first shots were fired at Fort Sumter, reflects the controversy that brought on the Civil War. On Ma... [click for more]

San Mateo County Historic Homes & Houses
Capidro House
Twentieth Century Folk Art Environments (thematic historical marker). Charles Kasling began sculpturing near Andrade in 1967, and his creations now fi... [click for more]

Pigeon Point Lighthouse
This brick lighthouse was built to incorporate a French first order Fresnel lens. Although no longer used, the lens is still operable in the lantern r... [click for more]

Sánchez Adobe
This is the home of Francisco Sánchez (1805-1862), alcalde of San Francisco and commandante of militia under the Mexican Republic, grantee of t... [click for more]

San Mateo County - General Interest
Anza Expedition Camp
Here on the banks of San Mateo Creek Captain J. B. de Anza camped March 29, 1776, after exploring the peninsula and selecting the sites for the Missio... [click for more]

Anza Expedition and Camp
The Anza Expedition of 1776, on its way up the peninsula to locate sites for the Presidio and Mission of San Francisco, camped here on March 26 at a d... [click for more]

Broderick-Terry Dueling Place
In the early morning of September 13, 1859, U.S. Senator David C. Broderick and Chief Justice David S. Terry of the California Supreme Court fought th... [click for more]

Burlingame Railroad Station
This first permanent building in the Mission Revival style of architecture opened for service on October 10, 1894. Designed by George H. Howard and J.... [click for more]

Harriet Pullman Carolan, heiress to the Pullman railroad car company fortune, constructed this lavish mini-palace in 1915-16, the focal point of a ful... [click for more]

Casa De Tableta
This structure, built by Felix Buelna in the 1850s, served as a gambling retreat and meeting place for Mexican-Californios. It was strategically locat... [click for more]

Filoli, built as the home of mining entrepreneur William B. Bourn II, was the last great residential commission of one of California's most important ... [click for more]

Menlo Park Railroad Station
This building, constructed in 1867 by the San Francisco and San Jose Railroad Company, is the oldest railroad passenger station in California. The Vic... [click for more]

Old Store at La Honda
In the winter of 1861-62, John L. Sears settled in the mountains 17 miles from Redwood City. He named the place La Honda and built a store that was so... [click for more]

Our Lady of The Wayside
This country church, built in 1912, was the first design of architect Timothy L. Pflueger to be executed. Pflueger, who had just begun work for James ... [click for more]

Portolá Expedition Camp 1
The Portolá Expedition of 1769 camped on the south bank of Purisima Creek on October 27. The Indian village on the north bank of the creek was ... [click for more]

Portolá Expedition Camp 2
The Portolá Expedition of 1769 camped October 23 near the mouth of Gazos Creek.... [click for more]

Portolá Expedition Camp 3
The Portolá Expedition of 1769 camped near the San Pedro Creek, where there was an Indian village, from October 31 to November 3. To that camp ... [click for more]

Portolá Expedition Camp 4
The Portolá Expedition of 1769 camped October 30 on a stream at the foot of Montara Mountain, which now blocked their way. Needing food badly, ... [click for more]

Portolá Expedition Camp 5
On October 24, the Portolá Expedition camped at an Indian rancheria on San Gregorio Creek, about one-half league from its mouth. Tired and sick... [click for more]

Portolá Expedition Camp 6
The Portolá Expedition of 1769 camped near a lagoon now covered by San Andreas Lake on November 4. They camped here a second time on November 1... [click for more]

Portolá Expedition Camp
The Portolá Expedition of 1769 camped close to the mouth of Pilarcitos Creek on October 28 and 29. Portolá himself was very ill. ... [click for more]

Portolá Expedition Camp
The Portolá Expedition of 1769 camped on November 5 at a 'laguna grande' which today is covered by the Upper Crystal Springs Lake. ... [click for more]

Portolá Expedition Camp
On November 11, the Portolá Expedition of 1769 traveled two leagues, about 5.26 miles, to a point in the lower Caņada de Reymundo, and made the... [click for more]

Portolá Journey’s End
In 1769 the Portolá expedition of 63 men and 200 horses and mules camped near El Palo Alto, the tall tree. They had traveled from San Diego in ... [click for more]

Ralston Hall
This redwood structure was completed in 1868 by William Chapman Ralston, San Francisco financier. Incorporating Count Cipriani's earlier villa, this e... [click for more]

Site of San Mateo County’s First Sawmill
About 300 feet south of this monument, on the banks of the Alambique Creek, stood San Mateo County's first sawmill, built by Charles Brown in 1847. Ab... [click for more]

Site of The Discovery of San Francisco Bay
On October 31,1769, Captain Gaspar de Portolá was camped by the creek at the south of this valley when scouting parties brought news of a body ... [click for more]

Site of The Former Village Of Searsville
Here stood the lumbermen's village of Searsville whose first settler, John Sears, arrived in 1854. Across the road, west of this monument, stood a hot... [click for more]

Steele Brothers Dairy Ranches
Beginning in the 1850s, the Steele brothers pioneered one of the first large-scale commercial cheese and dairy businesses in California. They extended... [click for more]

Tanforan Assembly Center, Temporary Detention Camps for Japanese Americans
The temporary detention camps (also known as 'assembly centers') represent the first phase of the mass incarceration of 97,785 Californians of Japanes... [click for more]

Tunitas Beach, Indian Village Site On Portolá Route
The Portolá Expedition of 1769 discovered this Indian village on Tunitas Creek, in the southwest corner of Rancho Caņada de Verde y Arroyo de l... [click for more]

Woodside Store
Built in 1854 among sawmills and redwood groves by Dr. R. O. Tripp and M. A. Parkhurst, the store was operated by Dr. Tripp (who also served as dentis... [click for more]

This page last updated: 11/11/2009