Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
HomeCalifornia → Calaveras Historical Markers

Calaveras County, California Points of Interest

Map of California State Historical Marker Locations in Calaveras

Calaveras County Historical Markers

Calaveras County Churches
Congregational Church
The Congregational Church in Mokelumne Hill was organized August 28, 1853. The church building, erected in 1856, is the oldest Congregational Church b... [click for more]

Calaveras County Schools
Red Brick Grammar School
This brick building, erected in 1848 with funds raised by a dance in the Billiard Saloon of the N.R. Prince Building (which still stands, 1955) is one... [click for more]

Calaveras County Cemeteries
Pioneer Cemetery
This pioneer cemetery was said to have been established in 1851. Most of the graves are unmarked - stones appeared over only three of them in 1936. Th... [click for more]

Calaveras County Courthouse
Courthouse of Calaveras County, 1852-1866, and Leger Hotel
A portion of this building served as the Calaveras County Courthouse from 1852 to 1866, when the county seat was removed to San Andreas. George W. Leg... [click for more]

Calaveras County - General Interest
The history of Altaville is closely identified with that of Angels Camp. Altaville has been the foundry town of Calaveras County since D. D. Demerest ... [click for more]

Angels Camp
Founded in 1849 by George Angel, who established a mining camp and trading store 200 feet below this marker, this was in a rich gravel mining area tha... [click for more]

Angels Hotel
The canvas hotel that C. C. Lake erected here in 1851 was replaced by a one-story wooden structure, and then in 1855 by one of stone - a second story ... [click for more]

Birthplace of Archie Stevenot
The Stevenot family established the borax industry in California - Archie Stevenot was proclaimed 'Mr. Mother Lode' by resolution of the 1961 session ... [click for more]

Calaveritas, settled in 1849 by Mexicans, was a flourishing mining town complete with stores, saloons, gambling houses, and fandango halls, the latter... [click for more]

California Caverns at Cave City
The historical significance of California Caverns is well established as a major cavern system and as one of the earliest officially recorded caves (1... [click for more]

Once called Limerick, the town became Camanche (after Camanche, Iowa) in 1849. Rich mining at nearby Cat Camp, Poverty Bar, and Sand Hill brought its ... [click for more]

Campo Seco
Campo Seco was settled in 1849 by Mexicans who worked placers in Oregon Gulch. The largest living cork oak tree in California was planted here in 1858... [click for more]

Carson Hill
Gold was discovered in the creek just below here in 1848 by James H. Carson, whose name was given to the creek, hill, and town. In November 1854 the l... [click for more]

Chili Gulch
This five-mile gulch was the richest placer mining section in Calaveras County. It received its name from Chileans who worked it in 1848 and 1849, and... [click for more]

W. K. Reed and Thomas McCarty discovered copper here in 1860. The mines were utilized during the Civil War, when they were the principal copper produc... [click for more]

Double Springs
Founded February 18, 1850, Double Springs was once the seat of Calaveras County. The old courthouse, said to be constructed of lumber brought from Chi... [click for more]

Douglas Flat
Douglas Flat was a roaring mining camp of the early 1850s. In 1857 the Harper and Lone Star Claims produced $130,000 worth of gold. The so-called Cent... [click for more]

El Dorado
Patented as a townsite in 1872, this early town derived its name from a sawmill located here. Mountain Ranch, the post office established in 1856, was... [click for more]

Fourth Crossing
Located on the Stockton-Murphys Road at a crossing of the Calaveras River, this early mining settlement, once called Foremans, was famous in the 1850s... [click for more]

Glencoe (Mosquito Gulch)
Glencoe was formerly called Mosquito Gulch. The business portion of the town was on the north side of Mosquito Gulch, but not one of the old buildings... [click for more]

I.O.O.F. Hall, Mokelumne Hill
This is said to be California's first three-story building to be erected outside the coastal towns. The original building was erected in 1854 as a two... [click for more]

Jenny Lind
Jenny Lind, located on the north bank of the Calaveras River, was a placer mining town as early as 1849. Most of the placer mining was done along the ... [click for more]

Jesus Maria
The town, center of a large placer mining section, was named for a Mexican who raised vegetables and melons for the miners. It was settled in the earl... [click for more]

Completion of the Southern Pacific Railroad in 1871 marked the birth of the town of Milton. Named after Milton Latham, one of the railroad constructio... [click for more]

Mitchler Hotel
This is one of the oldest hotels still operating in California. First called the Sperry and Perry Hotel, it was opened by James L. Sperry and John Per... [click for more]

Mokelumne Hill
Mokelumne is an Indian word, first applied to the nearby river. Earliest settlement was at Happy Valley by French trappers. Gold was discovered by dis... [click for more]

One of the principal mining communities in Calaveras County, Murphys was named for the discoverer of gold on the flat in 1849. The objective of many i... [click for more]

O’Byrne Ferry
In 1852 a chain cable bridge replaced the ferries that once crossed here, to be supplanted in its turn by a covered truss structure in 1862. Some writ... [click for more]

Old Mining Camp of Brownsville
A thriving mining camp on rich Pennsylvania Gulch in the 1850s and 1860s, the camp was named for Alfred Brown, former owner of Table Mountain Ranch. L... [click for more]

Gwin Mine, Paloma, and Lower Rich Gulch were mined for placer gold in 1849, and quartz was discovered by J. Alexander in 1851. Property here was acqui... [click for more]

Prince-Garibardi Building
This structure was erected in 1852 by B. R. Prince and G. Garibardi for a general merchandise business. Improved in 1857 with living quarters on the s... [click for more]

Rail Road Flat
This historic mining town, elevation 2,600 feet, was named after primitive mule-drawn ore cars used here. It was the site of an Indian council as well... [click for more]

Robinson’s Ferry
In 1848 John W. Robinson and Stephen Mead established ferry transport for freight, animals and persons across river. In 1856 Harvey Wood purchased int... [click for more]

San Andreas
Settled by Mexicans in 1848 and named after the Catholic parish St. Andres, the town has been a noted mining camp since early days. Gold from the surr... [click for more]

Sandy Gulch
This monument was erected to the memory of pioneers of Sandy Gulch, 1849 trading center for miners of northeastern Calaveras County. The settlement, i... [click for more]

Stone Corral
Stone Corral, consisting of a hotel, barns, and the large corrals for which it was named, was one of the stopping places on the road from the mines to... [click for more]

The Peter L. Traver Building
Constructed by Peter L. Traver in 1856, this is the oldest stone building in Murphys. Its iron shutters and sand on the roof protected it from the fir... [click for more]

Vallecito Bell Monument
Named 'Little Valley' by Mexicans, Vallecito was one of California's important early-day mining towns. Gold was discovered here by the Murphy brothers... [click for more]

This mining camp of the early 1850s was almost totally destroyed by fire on August 28, 1859. Nearby is Moaning Cave, which the Indians used as a buria... [click for more]

Valley Springs
in 1885 the San Joaquin and Sierra Nevada Railroad Company completed a narrow-gauge railroad from Brack's Landing to Valley Springs. The line eventual... [click for more]

West Point
West Point was named by scout Kit Carson, who was searching for a pass over the Sierra. One emigrant road forked by Big Meadows - its north branch cam... [click for more]

This page last updated: 11/11/2009