Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Louisiana Rapides Parish Alexandria Historical Markers Alexandria Library
     

Alexandria Library

Alexandria, LA, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 31° 17' 33.6516", -92° 27' 59.6268"
  Louisiana State Historical Marker
 
    Louisiana State
Historical Marker
This site, located in the town's center square, was set aside for public use on the original town plat commissioned by Alexander Fulton in 1805. The building was contructed solely for advancement of culture and learning in 1907 by Caldwell Brothers, Contractors and Crosby & Henkel of New Orleans, Architects. It replaced an earlier library burned by Gen. Nathaniel Banks' federal troops May 13, 1864. Area businessman S.S. Bryan matched a $10,000.00 grant from Pittsburgh philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. The funds were given for a free public library with the stipulation that the City provide a site and maintenance forever. An accepting ordinance was adopted by Alexandria's Board of Aldermen May 7, 1907. The Alexandria City Council in 1971 adopted a resolution designating the building as the Alexandria Historical and Genealogical Library and Museum. It was restored as a Bicentennial project. Through the date of the placing of this marker, 1990, the building remains in public ownership as the City's only public building over 75 years old used for its original purpose. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Places January 19, 1989. Sponsored by Dorothy Tudor McWhorter.

Last updated: 7/27/2009 15:10:00
   
     
 
Alexandria Library Louisiana