Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
HomeVirginiaRichmond County → Richmond

Richmond City Historical Markers

Map of Virginia State Historical Marker Locations in the City of Richmond

Richmond City Historical Markers

Richmond Churches
Church Hill Tunnel
About 200 feet east is the western portal of the Church Hill Tunnel. On 11 Dec. 1873, Chesapeake and Ohio locomotive number 2 passed through the tunn... [click for more]

Confederate Memorial Chapel
The chapel was erected in 1887 in memory of the more than 260,000 Confederate war dead and as a place of worship for the veterans who resided here in ... [click for more]

Ebenezer Baptist Church
Free blacks and slaves living west of Second St. and north of Broad St. founded the Third African Baptist Church in 1857. In 1858, it was dedicated on... [click for more]

First African Baptist Church
Tracing its roots to 1780 as the First Baptist Church, the First African Baptist Church was bought and organized by freedmen and slaves in 1841. The ... [click for more]

Monumental Church
The church is a memorial to the 72 people, including Virginia Governor George W. Smith, who died when the Richmond Theatre burned here in 1811. Severa... [click for more]

Saint John’s Episcopal Church
Here on 23 March 1775 Patrick Henry delivered his Liberty or Death speech, calling for American independence, during the second Virginia revolutionary... [click for more]

Saint Joseph Catholic Church
In 1884, Bishop John Keane bought this property and established Saint Joseph, making it the first-known Catholic congregation organized for African Am... [click for more]

Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church
The Rev. John Jasper, born a slave in Fluvanna County on 4 July 1812, organized the Sixth Mount Zion Baptist Church congregation in Richmond on 3 Sept... [click for more]

Trinity Methodist Church
Erected in 1860, this building housed Trinity Methodist Church until 1945 when the congregation moved to Henrico County. It was designed by noted Rich... [click for more]

Richmond Historic Homes & Houses
Adams-Van Lew House
Richmond mayor Dr. John Adams built a mansion here in 1802. It became the residence of Elizabeth Van Lew (1818—1900) whose father obtained it i... [click for more]

Craig House
The Craig House, perhaps Richmond's second oldest structure, was built between 1784 and 1787 by Adam Craig (b. ca. 1760-d. 1808). He was clerk of the ... [click for more]

Edgar Allan Poe House
The Edgar Allan Poe House contains the Poe Museum, dedicated to the famous American writer and poet known for the macabre and horror stories. Poe neve... [click for more]

Grant House~Sheltering Arms Hospital
William H. Grant, a prominent Richmond tobacconist, built this mansion by 1856 on property acquired from John Wickham's estate. The house, an early ex... [click for more]

Halfway House
This old inn was the headquarters of Major-General B. F. Butler's Union Army of the James during the Battle of Drewery's Bluff, May 16, 1864. The inn ... [click for more]

Jacob House
In 1817 George Winston built the Jacob House nearby, in the development known as Sydney. Winston (1759-1826), a Quaker who built the first Richmond Fr... [click for more]

John Miller House
John Miller, a free black cooper and minister, built this house about 1858. It is significant as a rare surviving antebellum house in Richmond constru... [click for more]

Samuel Pleasants Parsons House
Completed in 1819, 601 Spring Street was the home of Samuel Pleasants Parsons (1783-1842). Parsons, a Quaker, was an early reform-minded superintenden... [click for more]

Stewart-Lee House
Built in 1844 for Norman Stewart, a Scottish tobacco merchant, the house was rented from his nephew, John Stewart, by Gen. Robert E. Lee's family duri... [click for more]

Virginia House
Architectural elements of the Priory of Saint Sepulcher (Warwick Priory), originally built more than 900 years ago, were transplanted from England to ... [click for more]

White House of the Confederacy
Built in 1818 as the residence of Dr. John Brockenbrough, this National Historic Landmark is best known as the executive mansion for the Confederate S... [click for more]

Richmond General Interest
Adele Goodman Clark
Adèle Goodman Clark fought tirelessly to champion both women's rights and the arts in Virginia. Clark gained prominence for pro-suffrage ... [click for more]

Alfred D. A.D. Price
Born into slavery in Hanover County in 1860, Alfred D. A. D. Price moved to Richmond in the late 1870s. Soon after coming to Richmond, he set up a bla... [click for more]

Ampthill Estate
Built before 1732 by Henry Cary, this was the home of Colonel Archibald Cary, a Revolutionary leader of Virginia. The house was moved, 1929-30, to its... [click for more]

A short distance south is Ampthill House, built by Henry Cary about 1730 on the south side of James River. It was the home of Colonel Archibald Cary, ... [click for more]

Anna Marie Lane--Soldier Of The American Revolution
Near the Bell Tower in Capitol Square stood the barracks of the Public Guard. There, from 1801 to 1807, lived John Lane and his wife, Anna Maria Lane,... [click for more]

Bacon’s Quarter
Nathaniel Bacon (1647-1676), leader of Bacon's Rebellion, acquired land in 1674 at Curles Neck in Henrico County and property near the falls on the no... [click for more]

Barton Heights Cemeteries
The Burying Ground Society of the Free People of Color of Richmond established its cemetery (later renamed Cedarwood) here in 1815. African Americans ... [click for more]

Battle of Bloody Run
Nearby is the site where Chief Totopotomoy of the Pamunkey died in 1656. The English colonists had become concerned over the recent settlement nearby ... [click for more]

Battle of Drewry’s Bluff
From this point the Confederates, on May 16, 1864, moved to attack the Union Army of the James under Butler advancing northward on Richmond.... [click for more]

Black Hawk (1767-1838)
Black Sparrow Hawk (Ma-ka-tai-me-she-kia-kiak) led the Sauk Nation in defense of land taken from them in the 1830s. Displaced from three Midwestern l... [click for more]

Branch Public Baths
John Patteson Branch (1830-1915), banker, philanthropist and community leader, erected Richmond's first public bath here in 1909 at 1801 East Broad St... [click for more]

British Invasion of Richmond, January 1781
On 4 Jan. 1781, British troops led by Brig. Gen. Benedict Arnold landed at Westover in Charles City County and began marching to Richmond. Learning of... [click for more]

Broad Street Station
Broad Street Station served passengers of the Richmond, Fredericksburg & Potomac Railway and the Atlantic Coast Line Railroad from 6 Jan. 1919 until 1... [click for more]

Brook Road
According to tradition, the Marquis de Lafayette marched his colonial troops from the north into Richmond on portions of present-day Brook Road late i... [click for more]

Charles Sidney Gilpin
Charles Sidney Gilpin grew up here in Jackson Ward. He apprenticed in the Richmond Planet print shop before beginning his theater career and becoming... [click for more]

Drewry’s Bluff (2)
This bluff on the James River, a mile east, was fortified by Captain A. H. Drewry in 1862. A Union fleet, attempting to pass it, was driven back, May ... [click for more]

Drewry’s Bluff
A mile east is Drewry's Bluff, James River fortification of Richmond, 1862-1865. Earthworks remain.... [click for more]

Early Quakers in Richmond
Near this site a meetinghouse was built in 1797 to1798 by members of the Religious Society of Friends. Called Quakers, the earliest had arrived in Vir... [click for more]

Egyptian Building
In Oct. 1844, Hampden-Sydney College's medical department first held classes in this Egyptian Revival structure designed by Philadelphia architec... [click for more]

Engine Company No. 9 Fire Station
On 1 July 1950, the first professional Afro-American firefighters in Virginia were hired and in September were stationed on the northeast corner of th... [click for more]

Evergreen Cemetery
In 1891, Evergreen Cemetery was established as a preeminent resting place for many of Virginia's most influential African-American residents. These i... [click for more]

Execution of Gabriel
Near here is the early site of the Richmond gallows and Burial Ground for Negroes. On 10 Oct. 1800, Gabriel, an enslaved blacksmith from Brookfield pl... [click for more]

Falling Creek Ironworks
Nearby on Falling Creek is the first ironworks in English North America. It was established by the Virginia Company to supply iron for the colony and ... [click for more]

First Southern African American Girl Scouts
In 1932, the first African American Girl Scout troop in the South began meeting nearby on the Virginia Union University campus. Sponsors of the troop ... [click for more]

First Trolley Car System in Richmond
In 1888, the world's first successful electric railway, the Richmond Union Passenger Railway, branched at this point to link downtown and Jackson Ward... [click for more]

Forest Hill Park
This 105-acre site was part of William Byrd III's vast 1700s holdings along the James River. In 1836, Holden Rhodes (1799-1857), noted jurist and earl... [click for more]

Freedmen’s Bureau, Freedman’s Bank
Slavery denied African Americans the education and skills required to exercise the freedom won by the Civil War. To redress that, Congress created the... [click for more]

Friends Asylum for Colored Orphans
Here stood the Friends Asylum for Colored Orphans. Lucy Goode Brooks and the Ladies Sewing Circle for Charitable Work, all formerly enslaved, founded... [click for more]

Gabriel’s Rebellion
Gabriel, a slave of Thomas Prosser of nearby Brookfield plantation, planned a slave insurrection against Richmond on 30 Aug. 1800. The slaves intended... [click for more]

Giles Beecher Jackson (circa 1852-1924)
The first African American to practice law before the Supreme Court of Virginia, Jackson lived and worked in Jackson Ward. Although local tradition h... [click for more]

Hebrew Cemetery
Richmond's Hebrew Cemetery was established in the early 19th century by Congregation Beth Shalome, which was formed by 1789 and merged with Congr... [click for more]

Jackson Ward
Before the Civil War this neighborhood was home to free blacks and enslaved individuals, along with European immigrants and Jewish residents. The area... [click for more]

John Mitchell, Jr., Fighting Editor
Born enslaved near Richmond in 1863, John Mitchell, Jr. came of age in the tumultuous post-Civil War era. In 1883, he launched a daring journalism ca... [click for more]

Joseph Bryan Park
Before becoming a park, this property was part of the Young family's Westbrook estate in the 1700s and later Rosewood, home of the Mordecai family. It... [click for more]

Kahal Kadosh Beth Shalome
Jews have participated in Virginia's social and economic life from the colony's beginnings. Kahal Kadosh Beth Shalome (Holy Congregation House of Peac... [click for more]

Mary-Cooke Branch Munford
Mary-Cooke Branch Munford received her primary and secondary education in Richmond and New York. Prevented from attending college by her mother, Munf... [click for more]

Monroe Park
In 1851 the City of Richmond planned a series of parks including Western Square now known as Monroe Park. In the 1850s it served as grounds for what b... [click for more]

Navy Hill
The Navy Hill neighborhood, named as a tribute to nearby naval victories during the War of 1812, was settled by German immigrants beginning in 1810. ... [click for more]

Oakwood Cemetery, Confederate Section
After the First Battle of Manassas, Richmond appropriated this approximately 7.5-acre lot on 12 Aug. 1861 for the burial of Confederate war dead. Thes... [click for more]

Old Dominion Building
William Lawrence Bottomley (1883-1951), the well-known architect who planned a number of sophisticated Colonial Revival houses for wealthy Richmond-ar... [click for more]

Origins of Richmond
There was no place so strong, so pleasant, and delightful in Virginia, for which we called it None-such. So wrote Captain John Smith about the site he... [click for more]

Outer Defenses
By 1864, a complex series of fortifications north of Richmond and the James River protected the capital of the Confederacy. The outer line of western ... [click for more]

Outer Fortifications
On the hilltops here ran the outer line of Richmond fortifications, 1862-1865.... [click for more]

Proctor’s Creek Fight
To the west of the road here at Proctor's Creek Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler's Union Army of the James attacked the outer line of the Confederates' Dr... [click for more]

Richmond Evacuation Fire
After midnight on 3 April 1865, Confederate soldiers set fire to several tobacco warehouses nearby on orders from Lt. Gen. Richard S. Ewell, as the ar... [click for more]

Richmond’s Civil War Hospitals
Hospitals such as Chimborazo, erected on this site in 1861, were built to handle the increasing influx of wounded Civil War soldiers to Richmond from ... [click for more]

Richmond’s First African American Police Officers
On 1 May 1946, Richmond's first professional African American police officers were hired and assigned to the First Precinct at Smith and Marshall Stre... [click for more]

Sadie Heath Cabaniss ~ Nursing Innovator (1863-1921)
Sadie Heath Cabaniss laid the foundation for professional nursing in Virginia and was the founder of the VCU School of Nursing in 1893. Cabaniss, who ... [click for more]

Second Battle of Drewry’s Bluff
The Second Battle of Drewry's Bluff, or the Proctor's Creek engagement, began on 14 May 1864 when part of Union Maj. Gen. Benjamin F. Butler's Army of... [click for more]

Sheridan Maneuvers East
In 1864, Brook Road provided the most direct avenue of approach from the north for Union cavalry raids on Richmond. After defeating Maj. Gen. J. E. B.... [click for more]

Shockoe Hill Cemetery
The City of Richmond opened Shockoe Hill Cemetery on four acres in 1822, when the burial ground of St. John's Church approached its capacity. By 1871,... [click for more]

Site of J. E. B. Stuart’s Death
Major General James Ewell Brown Stuart, C.S.A., Commander of the cavalry of the Army of Northern Virginia, died here on May 12, 1864, in the home of h... [click for more]

The Carillon
The Carillon, Virginia's War Memorial for World War I, was erected by the Commonwealth of Virginia to commemorate those who served. Designed by noted ... [click for more]

The Equal Suffrage League of Virginia
Eighteen women dedicated to obtaining the vote and expanding women's traditional roles formed the Equal Suffrage League of Virginia (ESL) at 919 ... [click for more]

Union Army Enters Richmond
Here Maj. Gen. Godfrey Weitzel, commander of the Army of the James, entered and took possession of Richmond at 8:15 A.M. on 3 April 1865 after receivi... [click for more]

Virginia Historical Society
Founded in 1831, the Virginia Historical Society is the oldest such institution in the South. It was located in the Stewart-Lee house in downtown Rich... [click for more]

Located eight miles downstream from Richmond, Warwick was an important 18th-century James River port and manufacturing center. During the Revolutionar... [click for more]

A short distance south is Wilton, built by William Randolph and completed in 1753. The house, which originally stood on the north side of James River ... [click for more]

Windsor was part of a 600 acre tract that was conveyed to Daniel S. Hylton by Charles Carter, trustee, in the William Byrd lottery of 1776. In the ear... [click for more]

Young’s Spring
Just one block southwest at Young's Spring on Upham Brook, slaves often congregated on weekends to hold religious services and social gatherings. This... [click for more]