Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
HomeVirginiaCampbell County → Lynchburg

Lynchburg City Historical Markers

Map of Virginia State Historical Marker Locations in the City of Lynchburg

Lynchburg City Historical Markers

Lynchburg Historical Marker

Church St, Lynchburg, VA, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 37° 24' 50.985144", -79° 8' 35.515824"

(Obverse:) In 1757 John Lynch opened a ferry here; in 1765 a church was built. In 1786 Lynchburg was established by act of assembly; in 1791 the first tobacco warehouse was built. Lynchburg was incorporated as a town in 1805. In 1840 the James River and Kanawha Canal, from Richmond to Lynchburg, was opened; the section to Buchanan, in 1851. Lynchburg became a city in 1852.
(Reverse:) Trains began running on the first railroad, the Virginia and Tennessee, in 1852. Lynchburg was a main military supply center, 1862-65. Here the Confederates under General Early defeated the Union General Hunter, June 18, 1864. In 1893 Randolph-Macon Woman's College opened; in 1903, Lynchburg College. In 1920 the council manager form of government was adopted.""

Church St
Lynchburg Churches
Court Street Baptist Church
The congregation was organized in 1843, when Lynchburg's African American Baptists were separated from First Baptist Church. The new African Baptist C... [click for more]

Diamond Hill Baptist Church
Diamond Hill Baptist Church was established in 1872, seven years after slavery was abolished. The current church, a Gothic Revival'tyle building... [click for more]

Lynchburg Schools
Abram Frederick Biggers and Biggers School (2)
Abram Frederick Biggers, (1838 - 1879), a lawyer by profession, was appointed the first superintendent of the Lynchburg and Campbell County schools in... [click for more]

Abram Frederick Biggers and Biggers School (3)
Abram Frederick Biggers, (1838 - 1879), a lawyer by profession, was appointed the first superintendent of the Lynchburg and Campbell County schools in... [click for more]

Abram Frederick Biggers and Biggers School
Abram Frederick Biggers (1838 - 1879), a lawyer by profession, was appointed the first superintendent of the Lynchburg and Campbell County schools in ... [click for more]

Lynchburg College
Lynchburg College was founded in 1903 as Virginia Christian College by Dr. Josephus Hopwood and a group of Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) cler... [click for more]

Randolph-Macon Woman’s College
Founded by Dr. William Waugh Smith in 1891 and opened in 1893 as a member of the Randolph-Macon System of Educational Institutions, this Liberal Arts ... [click for more]

Virginia University of Lynchburg
In 1886 the Virginia Baptist State Convention founded the Lynchburg Baptist Seminary as an institution of self-reliance, racial pride, and faith. It f... [click for more]

Lynchburg Historic Homes & Houses
Amelia Perry Pride’s Dorchester Home
Near this spot stood a small frame house known as Dorchester Home or Old Folks Home for impoverished former slave women. Established in 1897 by Hampt... [click for more]

John Daniel’s Home
This Federal-style mansion was built by John Marshall Warwick in 1826. It was the birthplace of John Warwick Daniel, grandson of the builder, whose fa... [click for more]

Miller-Claytor House
This building formerly stood at Eighth and Church streets. It now stands one block north. It was built by John Miller about 1791. Thomas Wiatt bought ... [click for more]

Quaker Meeting House
In the mid-18th century, members of the Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) settled in the Lynchburg area, initially worshiping in one another's ho... [click for more]

The Anne Spencer House--1313 Pierce Street
This was the home of Edward Alexander and Anne Bannister Spencer from 1903 until her death on July 25, 1975. Born on February 6, 1882, in Henry County... [click for more]

Lynchburg General Interest
Allen Weir Freeman, M.D.--7 Jan. 1881-3 July 1954
Born at 416 Main Street, Allen W. Freeman, brother of editor and historian Douglas Southall Freeman, was a pioneer in public health administration and... [click for more]

Camp Davis
Camp Davis, a Civil War mustering ground for Confederate troops from Virginia under the command of Col. Jubal A. Early, once occupied this area. At l... [click for more]

Carter Glass
Born January 4, 1858, in a house which stood on this site. Newspaper publisher; member of the State Senate and Delegate to the State Constitutional Co... [click for more]

Chauncey E. Spencer, Sr.
Chauncey E. Spencer, Sr., aviation pioneer and Civil Rights activist was born in Lynchburg on 5 Nov. 1906, the son of poet Anne Spencer. He moved to C... [click for more]

Chestnut Hill
Nearby stood Chestnut Hill, the home of Charles Lynch, Sr. He was the father of John Lynch, the founder of Lynchburg, and of Charles Lynch, Jr., a Rev... [click for more]

Defense Works
On the crest of the hill just to the south was a redoubt forming part of the defenses thrown up by General D. H. Hill, June, 1864. These works were he... [click for more]

Douglas Southall Freeman
Born at 416 Main Street on 16 May 1886, the son of a Confederate veteran, Douglas Southall Freeman moved with his family to Richmond three years later... [click for more]

Fort Early
Named for Confederate Lt. Gen. Jubal A. Early, this roughly square earthen redoubt served as a part of the outer line of defense for Lynchburg in June... [click for more]

Fort McCausland
The fort on the hill here was constructed by General J. A. Early to protect the approach to Lynchburg from the west. Union cavalry skirmished with the... [click for more]

Inner Defences
Near here ran the line of inner defences located by Gen. D. H. Hill, June, 1864. He had been sent from Petersburg by Gen. Beauregard to assist Gen. Br... [click for more]

Inner Defenses 1864
Here ran the inner line of Lynchburg defenses thrown up by General D. H. Hill in June, 1864. General John C. Breckinridge, confronting General Hunter ... [click for more]

Inner Defenses 1864
A line of shallow entrenchments extended from near this point along the crest of the hill to the east. These works were occupied by the cadets of the ... [click for more]

Inner Defenses
Here, facing west, ran the inner defenses of the city, located by General D. H. Hill. They were constructed by convalescents and home guards. General ... [click for more]

Inner Defenses
A line of shallow Civil War entrenchments extended across Bedford Avenue near this spot to connect with other trenches crossing the present-day railro... [click for more]

Jacob E. Yoder
Jacob Eschbach Yoder (22 Feb. 1838-15 Apr. 1905), reared a Mennonite in Pennsylvania, came to Lynchburg after the Civil War to teach former slaves in ... [click for more]

Luke Jordan, Blues Pioneer
Singer-guitarist Luke Jordan (1892-1952) was a familiar presence on the streets of Lynchburg from the 1920s until World War II. Jordan and other Afric... [click for more]

Lynchburg Defenses
The earthwork on the hilltop, two hundred yards to the east, was thrown up as a part of the system of defenses for Lynchburg, 1861-65. The city was an... [click for more]

Lynchburg City Historical Marker
(Obverse:) In 1757 John Lynch opened a ferry here; in 1765 a church was built. In 1786 Lynchburg was established by act of assembly; in 1791 the first... [click for more]

Montview was constructed in 1923 as the home of Senator and former Secretary of the U.S. Treasury, Carter Glass. Glass served in the House of Represen... [click for more]

Mustered and Disbanded 1861-1865
At this point the Second Virginia Cavalry was mustered into service, May 10, 1861. At the same place the remnant of this regiment was disbanded, April... [click for more]

Old City Cemetery
Old City Cemetery, also known as the Methodist Cemetery, was established as a public burial ground in 1806 on land donated by John Lynch, founder of L... [click for more]

Pearl S. Buck
Internationally known author and humanitarian Pearl Sydenstricker Buck (1892-1973) graduated in 1914 from Randolph-Macon Woman's College, where she wr... [click for more]

Point of Honor
Point of Honor stands half a mile to the northeast. Built for Dr. George Cabell Sr. in 1815, this refined Federal-style house is stylistically linked... [click for more]

Safe Haven in Lynchburg: Project Y
In 1951, the National Gallery of Art established a secret emergency repository (Code named Project Y) for its distinguished collection of art on the c... [click for more]

Samuel D. Rockenbach--1869-1952--Brigadier General, U.S. Army Cavalry
Nearby at 805 Madison Street is the birthplace of General Rockenbach, Father of the U.S. Army Tank Corps. He began his education in Lynchburg schools ... [click for more]

To the northwest is Sandusky, built by Charles Johnston about 1808. He named it after a place in Ohio where Indians had held him prisoner in 1790. The... [click for more]