Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Texas Van-zandt County Canton Van Zandt County Courthouse

Van Zandt County Courthouse

  Texas Historical Markers
121 E. Dallas (SH 64), Canton, TX, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 32° 33' 23.6304", -95° 51' 48.1824"
    Texas State
Historical Marker
     Built in 1937 with public Works Administration funds, this is the sixth building to serve as the Van Zandt County Courthouse. According to local lore, the commissioners court decreed that a modern courthouse should be erected in order to provide jobs for men of the county during the Depression era. The stepped massed edifice with cast stone veneer walls features art deco and art moderne details and is noteworthy for its vertical emphasis and its association with the architectural firm of Voelcker and Dixon. The Wichita Falls and Houston-based firm designed several west Texas courthouses in this style. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1999

This page last updated: 8/8/2010 17:40:49

Image Gallery

Van Zandt County Courthouse Historical Marker Location Map, Canton, Texas