| Founded during 19th century Christian Restoration Movement, by Joseph Addison Clark (1815-1901) and sons Addison (1842-1911) and Randolph (1844-1935). Joseph A. Clark, born in Illinois, came to Republic of Texas in 1839. A teacher, preacher, lawyer, surveyor, editor and publisher, he also was Fort Worth Postmaster in noisy cattle-trail and early railroad era. His sons, home from the Civil War, established a school in this city in 1869, on site which proved unsuitable. The family moved the school to Thorp Springs (33 MI. SW), where they founded Add-Ran Male and Female College in 1873. Church-related from its origin, the college was given in 1889 to the Christian Church Convention of Texas, and renamed Addran Christian University. Moved to Waco on Christmas Day, 1895, the school was renamed Texas Christian University (1902), and stayed there until the main building was destroyed by fire in 1910. When Fort Worth offered 52 acres of land for a campus and funds of $200,000 for building, Texas Christian University returned (1910) to the city first chosen as its location. By 1973, TCU had grown to 243 acres, 60 buildings, seven schools and colleges, and an average fall enrollment of 6500 students. Erected during Centennial Observance - 1973. |
This page last updated: 7/15/2008
First Hundred Years of Texas Christian University Historical Marker Location Map, Fort Worth, Texas
Related Themes: Texas C.S.A., Texas Confederate States of America, Confederacy
Texas Confederate Historical Markers.