Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Home North Carolina Guilford County City of High Point Historical Markers Haley House

Haley House

Lexington Avenue at McGuinn Street, High Point, NC, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 35° 58' 46.4916", -79° 59' 28.374"
  North Carolina State Historical Marker
    North Carolina State
Historical Marker
    Marker Text:
"Built 1786 by John Haley, blacksmith & sheriff, on the Petersburg-Salisbury Road. Later a tavern; now preserved as a museum."
     In 1768 John Haley built a home in the simple plan devised by William Penn, now known as the “Quaker plan.” He constructed it in an area which was, at the time, the frontier. It is now in the midst of High Point, and is the oldest structure in the town that is still located on its original site. On the 1808 Price-Strother Map, the Haley House is the only point designated on the road between Lexington and Martinsville. It was an important stagecoach stop and likely a tavern serving travelers. The structure is of handmade brick laid in the Flemish Bond pattern.

     John Haley appears to have served as a militia captain during the Revolution (despite his Quaker heritage), and is called “Captain” thereafter in many public documents. Since Haley owned slaves, it is thought that he was disowned by his Quaker brethren, either because of his slaves or his military service. Haley was a blacksmith by trade and served at various times as overseer of the Martinsville to Salisbury road, tax collector, and sheriff of Guilford County. As a local blacksmith conveniently located along the road, travelers began to seek out Haley for repairs and horseshoes, and his family likely offered food and lodging as a natural progression.

     The John Haley property was purchased by the High Point Historical Society in 1966 and was subsequently deeded to the city of High Point. Having been remodeled and annexed over the years, the structure required extensive restoration which was completed in 1969. In 1970 a circa 1750 blacksmith’s shop was moved to the Haley House property and was restored to add to the living history interpretations at the facility. The High Point Museum opened on adjacent property the following year and that organization now operates an extensive living history park with the Haley House as its centerpiece.

High Point Museum website: http://www.highpointmuseum.org
High Point Enterprise, November 27, 1966
Winston Salem Journal and Sentinel, August 29, 1971
Winston-Salem Journal, June 11, 1969
William L. Saunders and Walter Clark, eds., The Colonial and State Records of North Carolina
Catherine W. Bishir and Michael T. Southern, A Guide to the Historic Architecture of Piedmont North Carolina (2003)

Haley House Historical Marker Location Map, High Point, North Carolina