Established in 1911 with ten members, the Beaumont Young Women's Christian Association was officially chartered three years alter. Meetings were held in the town Temperance Hall until a separate building was constructed for the members at this location in 1918. That same year Frances Morris, a local teacher, formed a club for the black girls of the city. Through her efforts, it was chartered as a branch of the YWCA shortly after her death in 1933. A merger of both branches was completed in 1969. Supplemental Plate: The following individuals signed the charter of the Young Women's Christian Association of Beaumont, Texas, in 1914: Mrs. J. Frank Keith, Mrs. T. S. Reed, Jr., Mrs. W. P. H. McFadden, Mrs. Charles Cahison, Mrs. J. E. Carroll, Jrs. J. A. Glen, Mrs. D. Edward Greer, Mrs. J. W. Mackey, Mrs. F. M. Law, and Mrs. W. A. Shrigley. F. W. Steinman was architect for the building constructed in 1918.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.