The oldest known graveyard in the Dixie area, Wood-Verner Cemetery is named for two families who owned land surrounding the site. The earliest marked grave is that of John Gordon, who died in 1850. Affiliated with the local Methodist Church for much of its history, it now is maintained by a volunteer association. Among those interred here are pioneer settlers, Polish immigrants, former slaves, and at least two veterans of the Civil War. Many of the graves are unmarked. The cemetery serves as a visible reminder of the Dixie community's pioneer heritage.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.