W. A. Wood (1851-1909) and his wife Fannie (Wheeler) built this house in 1897. A lumber yard owner, Wood used fine materials--oak, heart pine, Louisiana cypress--and had siding milled to simulate cut stone. This is an excellent example of late Victorian residential architecture. Home was sold 1913 to planter-rancher Henry W. Hughes (1865-1935) and wife Bess (Thornhill), whose family owned it 58 years, selling in 1971 to Kenneth E. and Fonda (Clark) Rich, who call it Clarich.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.