Formed in 1898 by Philanthropist Eleanor Brackenridge (1837-1924) and journalist Marin B. Fenwick with eighteen charter members, the Woman's Club of San Antonio was the first departmental club in Texas. Miss Brackenridge served for seven years as the group's first president. The activities of this charitable organization have advanced voting and education have advanced voting and education for women, social reforms, and arts. The group purchased its first clubhouse in 1908. This structure, built-in 1907-08. This structure, built in 1907-08 as the residence of business and Civic Leader David J. Woodward, was acquired by the Woman's Club in 1926.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.