| Settlers began arriving in this area in 1846, and by the 1860 several farms were in operation. Settlement increased after the Civil War, and the town of Winkler was organized in 1879. Due to its location, the community was a part of both Navarro and Freestone counties. With W. S. Grayson as postmaster, a post office was established on April 28, 1879, on the Freestone County side and named in honor of Clinton McKamy Winkler (1820-1882), Confederate veteran, county judge, and state legislator. Within a year, the town boasted several homes and businesses. The advent of the railroad to the area caused many population shifts, including one away from Winkler to the new town of Streetman in 1905. Winkler continued to exist with a small population, however, and the post office continued in operation until 1973. The Winkler County Line Common School District was created in 1896. Classes were held in homes until 1898, when D. T. B. Grayson donated land on which a combination Masonic Lodge/school/church was built. Winkler Baptist Church was organized January 16, 1898, with C. C. Lee as first pastor. Prior to 1940, businesses in Winkler included grocery and mercantile stores, blacksmith shops, and gins. Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986 |
This page last updated: 7/15/2008
Winkler Historical Marker Location Map, Streetman, Texas
Related Themes: Texas Baptist Churches, Texas C.S.A., Texas Confederate States of America, Confederacy, Texas Freemasons, Masonic Lodges, Freemasonry
See more markers related to Texas Freemasonry.
View other Texas Confederate Historical Markers