According to local legend, this cemetery began about 1851, when a child traveling through this area in a wagon train died and was buried here. The oldest documented burial, that of infant Amy A. Marr, took place in 1872. Many graves in the pioneer cemetery are unmarked, or are marked only with fieldstones. Native red sandstone is used for many of the markers and curbing. Among those laid to rest here are former state legislator Elihu Newton (1845-1925), who served in the 20th and 23rd Texas legislatures, and veterans of the Civil War and other armed conflicts. A reminder of the once-rural, pioneer heritage of this part of Tarrant County, the cemetery is cared for by the White's Chapel Cemetery Association. (2001)
|StoppingPoints.com Editorial on White's Chapel Cemetery:|
|See also the info for White's Chapel United Methodist Church (UMC).|
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.