Early settlers to the Greens Creek area arrived from Georgia and Alabama in 1873. They bought farms, cleared the land, built homes, established a school, and organized two churches. Religious services for the Baptists and Methodists were held separately in members' homes until 1877, and later were held in a log schoolhouse. John W. Moore deeded two acres of land to the Baptist church in July 1880. Half of the land was used as a burial ground, as five graves had been placed there. It became known as the Greens Creek Baptist or the Upper Greens Creek Cemetery. The earliest documented grave is that of one-year old Luther Kiker in 1877. Six of the original thirteen charter members of the Greens Creek Baptist Church are also buried in this graveyard. Additional cemetery land was deeded to the Upper Greens Creek Cemetery by Nath G. Mulloy in 1909 and Fred and Stella Dupree in 1960. The cemetery contains the burials of many of the area's pioneer settlers and their descendants and veterans of wars ranging from the Mexican War to the Korean War. The cemetery is maintained by an association and continues to serve the community. (1996)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.