This schoolhouse and nearby burial ground originally served the pioneer settlers of the Turtle Creek area. The oldest marked grave is that of Miles L. Denton (1856-75). Also buried in the cemetery is Susan Elizabeth Bird (1866-87), the wife of J. Fisher Bird who patented the survey. Continuously used as a voting place since 1885, this property was obtained by school trustees in 1892 through a land trade with James Spicer. Classes were held here until 1958. Area residents bought the site in 1977 for the benefit of the community. (1980)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.