Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Texas Navarro County Dawson Town of Dawson

Town of Dawson

  Texas Historical Markers
City Park, Main and East St., Dawson, TX, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 31° 53' 43.38525000012", -96° 42' 45.95695999992"
    Texas State
Historical Marker
     This community grew out of Spring Hill (4 mi. NE), the oldest settlement in Navarro County. A Indian agent, Dr. George Washington Hill, started Spring Hill in 1838 as a trading post to improve relationships with the Indians. When Britton Dawson (1817-1905) came to Texas, he lived first in Jasper County. He settled at Spring Hill in 1846 on land he received as bounty for his service in the Battle of San Jacinto. Married twice and the father of 13 children, Dawson moved here in 1847 and later built a large home that served as a stagecoach stop. In 1881 the Texas & St. Louis Railroad, known later as the Cotton Belt, came through here on its route from Tyler to Waco. Dawson's sons, David E. and W. H., and their wives gave 100 acres in 1881 for a townsite on the new railroad. Named for the Dawsons, the town grew rapidly. Residents of Spring Hill, excited about business prospects, moved here. The railroad promptly set up a box car for a depot. Churches and schools were established immediately. Many merchants as well as the Masonic Lodge moved here from Spring Hill. This shift of population caused the Spring Hill community to decline while Dawson flourished.

This page last updated: 7/15/2008

Town of Dawson Historical Marker Location Map, Texas

Related Themes: Texas Freemasons, Masonic Lodges, Freemasonry
See more markers related to .