On January 18, 1895, Mrs. Hal W. Greer hosted a meeting at her home which resulted in the formation of this club. Present were Mrs. Greer's friends Mrs. E. C. Weiss, Mrs. T. A. Lamb, Miss Mary Lamb, and Miss Harriet Ferrand. Through their guidance, the Beaumont Literary Club was organized. On April 24, 1899, as the Woman's Reading Club, it was affiliated with the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs. It was chartered by the state in 1905. In 1908, while plans were being developed for the construction of a clubhouse, the group organized as a Department Club. Existing cultural associations, including the Shakespeare Club and the Matinee Music Club, joined the organization as departments. Completed in 1909, the clubhouse became the center for club activities, which have included art exhibits and Civil Defense preparedness classes. It has been shared with the community through the years for a variety of civic functions and social gatherings. The club name was changed in 1927 to the Woman's Club of Beaumont. Originally a cultural organization, it has become a leader in community development. Many prominent area women, including leaders of the state organization, have been members here. Incise in base: Mrs. Gilbert T. (Viola Joss) Adams - Historian and Researcher
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.