Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Texas Harris County Houston The Kinkaid School

The Kinkaid School

  Texas Historical Markers
201 Kinkaid Dr. at San Felipe, Houston, TX, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 29° 45' 3.742488", -95° 30' 43.876512"
    Texas State
Historical Marker
     The oldest private non-parochial school in Houston, the Kinkaid School was started in 1906 by Margaret Hunter Kinkaid. Unable to teach in the public schools because of a regulation prohibiting married women instructors, Mrs. Kinkaid began teaching students in her home at the corner of San Jacinto and Elgin streets. The first pupils were seven kindergarten students who met in her dining room. As the school grew, the Kinkaid Cottage was raised and a new first floor was constructed to provide classroom space. In order to meet increased enrollment demands and administrative responsibilities, a school board was organized in 1924 and plans were begun for a new facility at the corner of Richmond and Graustark. A high school program was added soon after. With the continued leadership of Mrs. Kinkaid and the development of innovative educational programs adapted from her ideas and observations, the school became nationally known. Mrs. Kinkaid retired shortly before her death in 1951 and was succeeded by John H. Cooper, under who administration the present campus was developed. A leader in quality education, the Kinkaid School has been the alma mater of many prominent business and professional leaders.

This page last updated: 7/15/2008

The Kinkaid School Historical Marker Location Map, Houston, Texas