The Rev. Issac Z.T. Morris and his wife began in 1887 to care for orphans and abandoned children in Fort Worth, keeping them in their family home. Their work led to chartering (1904) of the Texas Children's Home & Aid Society, with J.B. Baker, J.N. Brown, William Bryce, E.R. Conner, J.C. Conner, J.V. Dealey, Irby Dunklin, H.B.Francis, H.H. Halsell, J. Lee Johnson, E.H. McCuistion, Mr. Morris, G. H. Mulkey, J.W. Robbins, L. A. Suggs, and R.M. Wynne as directors. The Society engaged primarily in placing children in well-chosen adoptive homes. Mrs Edna Gladney (1889-1961) became a director in 1910. A crusader in behalf of waifs, foundlings and unwed mothers, she joined the staff as superintendent in 1927. By her efforts, permanent housing was acquired and services enlarged. Her influence extended beyond her own office, into securing legislation and social reform. Her work received wide public notice; it was dramatized (1941) in the motion picture Blossoms in the Dust. The home was renamed (1950) in her honor. Progress continued. A hospital unit was added (1954) and named for veteran Board Chairman A. J. Duncan. In 1962, the Gladney home was accredited by the Child Welfare League of America, Inc. Auxiliaries have been formed and facilities added to promote the work. (1974)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.