Early area priests served Caldwell's Catholic residents in the early 1890s, meeting in various locations, including the home of the Windhausen Family. The community built a church dedicated to St. Mary's Our Lady of Lourdes in 1895, and four years later bought this adjacent land for use as the Caldwell Catholic Cemetery. The first burial, that of Jacob Svejda (Schweda), dates to September 1899. The burial ground is the final Resting place of military veterans, local leaders, church founders and families from the area's Catholic community, with a strong link to the numerous settlers of Czech and hispanic heritage. (2005)
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.