St. John Lutheran Cemetery Settlers from Posen and Pomerania, Germany came to this area in 1848. They formed St. John Lutheran Church in 1853. A smallpox epidemic in 1873 claimed the lives of 11 members. They and other area victims were interred on the property of church member Henry Raatz. Most of these burials were unmarked, but one, Wilhelm F. Petrich's, is the earliest marked grave. In 1878, Raatz donated this land to the church for a graveyard. After more than a century, the community still uses the historic cemetery, which is maintained by an association that formed in 1973. Historic Texas Cemetery - 2002
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.