Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Texas Angelina County Diboll Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary
     

Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary

  Texas Historical Markers
Diboll, TX, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 31° 11' 0.4992", -94° 47' 13.8984"
 
    Texas State
Historical Marker
    The original commissary at this site was constructed about 1894 when T. L. L. Temple (1859 - 1935) started the first Southern Pine Lumber Company sawmill here. The store was moved to the present building when it was completed in 1923. The inventory included groceries, medicine, ice, furniture, dry goods, and coffins. Items were purchased with company checks, special tokens of metal or wax-coated paper. Managed from 1896 to 1938 by W. P. Rutland, the commissary closed in 1953. The building housed company offices until 1979. (1980)

This page last updated: 7/15/2008

Southern Pine Lumber Company Commissary Historical Marker Location Map, Diboll, Texas