William Alden Hawkins (1800-67) and wife Anna Eddy (1800-95), from La Porte, IN., arrived with family at this site in May 1848, becoming first settlers in area. The family included Marcellus Tolbert (1824-96); Mary Melissa (1824-84), with her husband Harrison F. Hinkley and child Annie Lucretia; Benjamin Franklin (1828-91) and wife Mary; James Emerson (1829-1912); William Alden (1831-89); Elizabeth Ann (1838-1903); David Peter (1838-63); John Wesley (1841-76); and George Washington (1842-1931). As a member of Peters Colony, Wm. A Hawkins and adult children claimed about 2500 acres of land. In a critical period of 28 days prior to July 1, 1848, logs were cut and hauled from Dallas County cedar brakes to build five houses, to sustain the claims. Hawkins Spring, about 100 feet from the Wm. A Hawkins' home supplied water for all households and often for passers-by. Upon the organization of Ellis County in 1850, William A. Hawkins (1800-67) was appointed first Chief Justice (County Judge). Currently situated on Hawkins' family lands are part of Midlothian business district east of Santa Fe Railroad, on the Wm. A Hawkins' survey; Northridge Shopping Center, on Harrison Hinkley survey; First United Methodist Church, on B.F. Hawkins' survey.
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.