Houston County school records dating from 1904 list two schools for African American students: Center Hill and Smith Grove. The schools merged in 1925, forming the Center Grove School. The community that grew up around the school was called Center Grove. By 1950, most Center Grove graduates went on to college. Sources of particular pride were the sports program, which had its own gym after 1952, and the vocational, agriculture, music, sciences, and homemaking programs. Many graduates returned to provide a quality education for area African American young people until the district was integrated in 1969. (1998) Incise on base: Honoring Principals H. L. Wooten and W. C. Williams
Copyright © StoppingPoints.com, 2010. All Rights Reserved.