Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Texas Harris County Houston Shepherd Drive Methodist Church

Shepherd Drive Methodist Church

  Texas Historical Markers
600 Shepherd Dr., Houston, TX, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 29° 46' 3.041328", -95° 24' 33.956568"
    Texas State
Historical Marker
     In 1899 a group of Methodists from this area, known then as the Brunner Addition, met in a building known as McClure's Assembly Hall and organized the McAshan and City Mission Methodist Church. A sanctuary, built on this block in 1900, was destroyed by a severe storm that year. A new sanctuary was completed in 1901. The church was renamed McAshan and Brunner Methodist in 1904, Brunner Methodist in 1906 and Brunner and Epworth Methodist in 1913. When construction of a new church building began in 1917, it became known as West End Methodist Episcopal Church, South. The church acquired additional land here in 1940 which included a parsonage and provided a full block of frontage on Shepherd Drive. By 1942 the congregation was known as the Shepherd Drive Methodist Church. In 1954-55 a new church building containing 17 classrooms, a sanctuary, and a fellowship hall was built at this site. In 1959 Shepherd Drive Methodist Church merged with the Larkin Street Methodist Church, a nearby congregation organized in 1916. This congregation continues its traditional spiritual programs, support of youth and senior outreach programs, promotion of community gatherings, and involvement in civic and social issues affecting the area. Sesquicentennial of Texas Statehood 1845 - 1995

This page last updated: 7/15/2008

Shepherd Drive Methodist Church Historical Marker Location Map, Houston, Texas