Historical Markers StoppingPoints.com Historical Markers, Sightseeing & Points of Interest Scenic Roads & Points of Interest
About Us | Photo Gallery | Free Widgets | Featured States | Search Site
Register or Edit LoginRegister
Home Texas Burnet County Bertram Shady Grove Community

Shady Grove Community

  Texas Historical Markers
Bertram, TX, USA

Latitude & Longitude: 30° 49' 7.2984", -98° 8' 10.9968"
    Texas State
Historical Marker
    In the 1850s and 60s families settled on this farm and ranch land along the Middle Gabriel river. The Old Austin-Lampasas and Burnet-Belton roads intersected here. Six acres deeded by Alexander M. Barton in 1877 later became the site of a schoolhouse, church and cemetery. At first the community was called Russell Gabriel. The Cumberland Presbyterian Church organized and met in the school building in 1878. Soon the name changed to Grove because the schoolhouse was located in a grove of live oak trees. The settlement boasted a cotton gin and corn mill, a general store and blacksmith shop, a doctor and a Masonic Lodge. In 1882 the Presbyterian, Methodist and Baptist congregations built a Union Arbor for camp meetings and revivals. For a few months in 1902 there was a post office. Since there was another Shady Grove in Texas, the name Tamega was used. A general store by that name operated here for 50 years. The Presbyterian fellowship erected this church structure first and then in 1905 built this tabernacle. The school consolidated with Bertram in 1942. When the Presbyterian congregation merged with Bertram in 1966, this property became a community center and homecoming site.

This page last updated: 7/15/2008

Shady Grove Community Historical Marker Location Map, Bertram, Texas

Related Themes: Texas Freemasons, Masonic Lodges, Freemasonry
See more markers related to .